Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Chinese wedding - dress code and present

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Chinese wedding - dress code and present

Hi

A bit off the baby topic but you Mums are full of useful advice!

I have been invited to a Chinese wedding at a 5 star hotel by my colleague at work. My first one and the invitation did not specify the dress code.

- Any advice on how dressy I should dress up - full length gown or cocktail length?

- Also whether there are any colours I should not wear? I understand the bride will likely wear a red dress during the evening so probably red is out. Black ok?

Also, I understand that money in a red envelope is the usual gift. Is there any etiquette on the envelope itself (and where do you get them?) and how much is an appropriate amount? I am clueless!

Thanks in advance
    SB2

rani is offline Administrator

A gown is too dressy, and usually only the wedding party will wear gowns. You'll find some guests wearing jeans as well. I would wear a smart dress, black is ok.

Couples prefer Laisees which goes to paying off the banquet. More on the gift on GeoExpat.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread31891.html

carang likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

penguinsix is offline Registered User

The range will go from business formal, suits and ties and smart dresses, all the way down to "I just got up and remembered there is a wedding" and a whole lot of strange stuff in between. Seriously--if it is a big wedding you can expect all variation of attire, some which will make you scratch your head actually. If you were expected to wear a gown I think they would have said something about being slightly more formal.

miran is offline Registered User

Agree with Rani and penguinsix. Have been to chinese weddings including a very very expensive one at Four Seasons. Guests wear pretty much everything. Smart dress is safest but jeans would pass too :)

Laisee is expected. How much is a function of the venue, your and invitee colleague's designation etc. best to check with your other colleagues (if invited). have found people here to be fairly relaxed about discussing it.

carang is offline Registered User

you can actually go to the bank and ask for a "wedding cheque".... it's made out in the amount of lai see you wish to give. we were given dozens of these in lai see packets when we got married. we also got cash.

Thanks all. I have asked the bride a while back about attire and she said smart casual but, as a westerner, I just assumed it would be dressy as weddings are back home. Will go for a smart dress then as sounds safest. Couldn't bring myself to wear jeans to a wedding!

And, I just found out about the bank cheques which sound a brilliant idea. My secretary was telling me about them. It also solves my issue of making sure I get the right envelope! All good. Looking forward to it but not wanting to be the ignorant gwelio. Thanks again ladies.

PS any colours NOT ok?

rani is offline Administrator

All colours are fine. The bride will probably change her clothes 4x. So be prepared for that. Have fun!

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast