Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Looking for Playgroup for our 7 month old Son

GTI
    GTI is offline Registered User

Cool Looking for Playgroup for our 7 month old Son

Pardon my ignorance as I am just starting my research on playgroups.

We plan to have our son enrolled in playgroups as he approaches 12 months old. We are looking at a whole array of choices which look good to us. However, we are worrying about him getting into a good (does not have to be the most elite) kindergarden. We do understand the influx of 'dragon' babies so we know the competitiveness my baby will be facing a few years down the road. Heck, grabbing a can of Friso from pharmacies and health stores are starting to become a slight problem for us!

So, we're thinking, would it give us a benefit to enroll our son in a playgroup where kindergartens are available as well? If we are eyeing on Victoria Kindergarden for example, would it give us privilege if we are to enroll our son into their playgroups and nursery classes. Friends have been telling me that the honest truth is that they appreciate your years of business and will ultimately give you privilege in entering their kindergarden classes. Is there any truth to this? If yes, how much of a help would it be?

Anyone with firsthand experience or advice to share? Greatly appreciated!

daddysprincess is offline Registered User
    HI GTI,

Never too late to enroll your baby in a playgroup. I am a playgroup teacher myself, I can give you my two cents.

First, what are the reasons for you to enroll your son into playgroups? Is it simply for the fact that it is easier for him to go to prestigious kindergarten? To a certain degree, enrolling him to playgroups provided by a kindergarten has an advantage to him. Schools are always happy to continue taking your money (sending kids to KG is more expensive than sending them to college!). The teachers in the playgroup will be some what familiar with the syllabus provided by the KG, your kid will have a smoother transition.

So back to my question, why are you sending him to playgroups (put aside the easier acceptance to KG)? Are you looking for something more music-oriented? art-related? Montessori? flash cards? All these affect your decision to choosing one.

Hope it helps =)

slin is offline Registered User
    I'm following this post as i'm facing the same dilemma with GTI. Just thinking aloud if its necessary to enroll my now 10mo girl into any playgroups just to secure a place in a good kindergarten. Also, pardon my ignorance....is it a requirement in HK to send our kids to nursery at ~3yo?

keninhk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by daddysprincess View Post
    So back to my question, why are you sending him to playgroups (put aside the easier acceptance to KG)? Are you looking for something more music-oriented? art-related? Montessori? flash cards? All these affect your decision to choosing one.
    Hi, where can I see possible advantage/disadvantages for each type?

Can I please invite parents that have gone through this task of 'choosing with educational path a kid takes' when their baby are just months old trip share their experiences/potential blind spots? Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

daddysprincess is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by keninhk View Post
    Hi, where can I see possible advantage/disadvantages for each type?

I don't think there will be any disadvantages in any of those types. Some kids enjoy music, some don't. Some kids loves running around, those kids will have trouble sitting still for the flash card session (BUT it is a good way to train his concentration).

Almost all these centers provide trial classes. Go and check them out with your baby! But do not make your decision base on your baby's behavior in trial class. It is his first class, every thing is new to him, he might cry and refuse to do anything and just cling on to you like a koala. So judge it with your gut feeling. Do you think this environment will benefit your baby? Do you like the teaching style of the center? Will you provide other kinds of stimulation for your baby outside classroom? (e.g. if you are a homey person and like staying in, put your baby in classes that he can crawl/run around and be around people; if you are not much of a music person and rarely play music at home, send him to music classes.)

Oh, one reminder I can never say enough but has nothing to do with this threat. NO TV for kids under 3! Too much stimulation firing at them at the same time, they will never be satisfy with anything with less stimulation (e.g. reading, playing puzzles)

Abbysam is offline Registered User
    My boy is in several playgroups right now (Victoria and CPDA) and he tried some other playgroups before (Tutortime and Letterland) so i kind of know the difference, the good and the bad.

Victoria provides good playroom and nice facilities so children can learn new things from their abundant resources. I like the curriculum in CPDA (my boy attends the one in wanchai for the english playgroup)because every lesson actually prepares the children to get ready for the kindergarten interview. Not the interview for specific kindergarten but it gives your child foundation on the knowledge that is usually used in the interview. So you dont need to worry anymore, your child can pass test at any kindergarten that you like. For montessori, i personally dont agree with their teaching style since it is too free but the talent of a child will be discovered from montessori teaching style. Every mom knows the best what her child needs :)
    Posted via Mobile Device