Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By southside852

Expressing milk for travelling

Kaydee is offline Registered User

Expressing milk for travelling

Hi,

I m going to travel for the first time with my two month old baby. My flight is at 10 30 PM. And lands at 3:30 AM hkt. I dont know how it is to travel with infants. I was told to feed him during the ascend and descend. I exclusively breast feed my baby and also am regular a expressing. How do i do it for the flight. If i leave it n the fridge and take the milk out at 700 pm at the time i start to the airport, i have to use it within 5 to 6 hrs.. How do i store the milk for 3:30 pm. ..? Will the airlines allow us to keep the milk in their fridge....? I can nurse him myself at the airport in hk but not at the destination due to various reasons..
    Any advice...?

birdster is offline Registered User
    Can you not consider to carry a cool bag with an ice pack in it ?

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I think the advice about feeding whilst ascending/descending is to help with air pressure discomfort. I don't think it means you should *only* feed during ascending/descending.

As for feeding in the destination airport, could you manually pump on the plane as you get closer to arriving?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

SweetiePop is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I used to just latch on in the plane. Just make sure that you get sit on the row up front (with the bassinet), then you have more space to feed and put your wet wipes etc. Also, wear a nursing top for easier access and have a light shawl handy to coverup! I'm not sure if the plane has a fridge that you can use. You may want to call the airline to ask.

If you cannot feed at the destination, perhaps you would consider pumping in the plane as a desperate solution?? You could use a manual breast pump in the toilet...or as birdster mentioned, use an ice pack?

Good luck!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    feeding during take-off and landing is usually for the baby's ears so they don't pop and feel discomfort.like those mentioned above, wear comfy clothing (bring an extra top in case of throw up/spit-ups), bring a nursing cloth and i would definitely bring some expressed milk in a cooler bag packed with ice. they will of course let that through security and just might ask you to taste it. i also used to freeze some of my milk in bags the night before, then put it in the cooler since i know it's really not as cold as your fridge so the defrosting process was a little slower and i could space it out more. i was never good at breastfeeding on flights, but if you can, do it. i would also try doing it at home first in a confined space as well as try going to the bathroom with your baby. not sure if you are flying by yourself, but i did numerous times and i always brought my Ergo baby carrier on board just for this 1 reason - it's so easy to pee with it on verses holding him/her freely.
    mummymoo likes this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Agree with southside852 - frozen breast milk kept in a cool pack defrosts very slowly and has the added benefit of chilling any milk you express and want to keep.

The ergo carrier comment had me chuckling - great advice for my next flight!