Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Union Hospital

mub2002 is offline Registered User

Union Hospital

Hello all,

Now 8 weeks in and planning which hospital to use. Union at Tai Wai is the most convenient, or Baptist at Kowloon Tong. Has anyone had any experiences with these hospitals that they wish to share? Can anyone recommend a doctor at either of them? We had planned to use the Prince of Wales however they no longer take private bookings, so we will also register with their public service there just in case. Has anyone here had experiences with the Prince of Wales public service?

Thanks for help!

AG

bagel is offline Registered User
    I used Union Hospital for my delivery in July and had a fantastic experience. I had a private room on the 11th floor which is like a five star hotel really. The staff are super attentive and I had a peaceful smooth experience. My OB-GYN was Michelle Tsui and they were all just great! I can recommend this highly.

charade is offline Registered User
    I planned to deliver my second baby at Baptist (mainly because it's close to my office so convenient to go to) but ended up going public as I couldn't afford emergency c-sec fees. My doctor was Dr Jimmy Mak, and I was very happy with him for antenatal care.

Having seen Baptist's maternity ward and comparing it with the maternity ward at United Christian (the public hospital I had delivered my first baby in), I felt the public hospital ward was more spacious and less crowded (due to strict visiting hours). However, if can afford a private or even semi-private room the experience would be different so that's something to consider.

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    I wasn't too pleased with my birth experience at POW in summer of 2011, but I was happy to be basically left alone with my baby afterwards. The midwives were not nice or particularly helpful, and they tried to keep my husband out for much of the labor. (The husband of a friend of mine missed the birth completely, so I know this is not an isolated case!) The price of the whole thing and the fact I got to room with my baby afterward and was discharged after one day made me choose to deliver there again with this pregnancy. But I can't say I am looking forward to being there again.

mub2002 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the above advice. Puts my mind at rest more. About Union, and private hospitals in general, I heard that C-sections recommendation is very common. I wondered if anyone had such an experience at Union?

feefee is offline Registered User
    I just gave birth a few weeks ago at the Union. This was my second time there.
    I chose the Union for its location and the fact it was peaceful, away from the city, but not in the middle of nowhere as it was still convenient to access.
    The nurses are amazingly attentive and kind; and the surroundings really comfortable. All the staff were friendly and pleasant. The rooms and areas are very clean. It really helped to go through birth and recovery in a calm environment.
    Some of the maternity rooms are being upgraded and this time I stayed in a newly refurbished room which has a hotel décor. The older rooms are still comfortable.
    My doctor is Dr Alexander Yip (Shing Kai) and he is calm, soft spoken and great. He's deputy head of the Union's O&G department so very experienced. I personally know over a handful of friends who have used him and find his fees very reasonable too. I would also say Dr. Yip encourages natural births and does not push patients into having a c sec (unlike others Ive heard of) but he is very much for supporting the mother's decision.