Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Downs result high risk

Editor is offline Administrator

We're sorry you're going through this. You've received some wonderful advice from a number of mums. We also asked Hulda from Annerley for hers and received the following:

It depends on what test was being done, and judging from this, it will have been the Oscar Test (nucal fold screening and blood test combination). This test, along with age calculation gives an estimation of risk of Down Syndrome, i.e. by doing these measures they will be able to tell you if the physical symptoms that are measured, indicate that your risk of having a baby with DS (and other syndromes actually) is higher or lower than your age alone is giving you. For example, someone who is 38 years old, has already a risk of around 1 in 100 or so, so what the test is essentially telling you is that the measurements there, are putting you at a higher risk than your age alone is.
    This does not make it a very high risk, but still higher than average for your age.

What it means is that you may want to think about the next steps. If you are quite sure that you would always continue the pregnancy, no matter what, then the next steps are just to carry on, and should the baby in fact have DS, you would probably see that in the 20 weeks scan. If you are quite sure that if you knew your baby had DS and you would want to terminate the pregnancy, then next step would be to do a DIAGNOSTIC test, (where as this is a prediction test, it is not diagnosing anything), an amniocentesis, where you would have it confirmed if there is something wrong with the baby or not.

If you want more information, please feel free to come and I will explain this to you in person, there are factors that vary in situations like this, such as when the tests are done and more, and essentially they should not really every be done unless the parents know what they want to do with the results. False positive response is also rather commonly a possibility.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3 View Post
    Twins like pp said is very hard. This test is known to be less accurate for twins in the first place, but I risked it, and said I would deal with it later), got my 1:7200 back and left it with that.
    MommyTo3 - FYI the NIFTY downs test is now licensed for use with twins also, and just as reliable as for singletons, so good news for twin pregnancies.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I agree with the above re Dr Lam. He is awesome. But very busy so good tip to go early and bring cash as when I went to him it was cash only. No credit card or EPS even.

birdster is offline Registered User

Overwhelmed by all your kind word and info

We have a doc appointment this week to go back and talk the specifics of the blood test and it's clearly that that has pushed the risk up

If we feel it's necessary after that then we will go and see this Dr Lam and explore the options there.

Me and OH both feel we would need to know conclusively before continuing on with the pregnancy

The NIFTY test sounds promising, may I ask if anyone knows the cost of this ?

Hi Birdster, I had a detailed scan and the NIFTY test with Dr Lam as a follow up to our Down's concerns. The scan was as detailed as the 20 week morphology scan. The scan cost $3000 and the NIFTY cost $5,500 as I recall. This was for twins though, so I think that definitely pushes the scan cost up...not sure about whether it changes the NIFTY cost. You can just give the clinic a call and find out how much they charge.

When we saw Dr Lam, we did the detailed scan first and at that point he was already convinced that both babies were perfectly normal. We decided to do the NIFTY just for further peace of mind, but even if you think NIFTY is too expensive, I'd still recommend going to see Dr Lam even just for the scan because he's very experienced, and the strength of his opinion may be enough to give you peace of mind.

The NIFTY test took 2 weeks to come back with the results, and as Starbucks2 said, the clinic only takes cash.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Birdster - if you do want to chat privately about anything, please feel free to PM me... All the best.

birdster is offline Registered User

Hey Nicole, thanks for the offer

We went and saw Dr Lam yesterday and had a down investigation scan he said he's almost certain we have not got a baby with any downs characteristics so we should have nothing to worry about

He advised if we want 99% clarity then we can consider the Nifty test

Thanks again for the advise and contact of Dr Lam he was awesome and so helpful

Quote Originally Posted by birdster View Post
    Hey Nicole, thanks for the offer

We went and saw Dr Lam yesterday and had a down investigation scan he said he's almost certain we have not got a baby with any downs characteristics so we should have nothing to worry about

He advised if we want 99% clarity then we can consider the Nifty test

Thanks again for the advise and contact of Dr Lam he was awesome and so helpful
    Glad it worked out for you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast