Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Downs result high risk

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Ok so I'll only maybe have the info from the scan. I booked a private scan to make sure I've had one before I go away as my hospital rgestration is on the same day that I fly and they said they cant guaratee when i will have a scan. I'll wait for the hospital blood tests though, theres no point in stressing about the all the risks I know. Thanks for your help again!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    You'll have the nt scan done privately but the blood test at the hospital? Is that possible? The results are combined, not treated seperately, to give your risk level, so I'm fairly sure you have to do both (scan and blood test) at the same place, ideally on the same day.

Its a huge coincidence but I've had a trip home booked for a few months that will now land in the 12th week of my pregnancy. Its unreal timing for me to tell both mine and my husbands parents and our friends. I'm registering at the hospital right before I go. I have no idea how the tests are done, I just wanted to make sure I've seen something before I leave for the UK and tell anyone. I think personally we wanted the peace of mind. The hospital can't guarantee that they will do the scan on the day I register, they said it could be 3 days later in which case I'll already be away.

Normally they would book your nt scan for 11 or 12 weeks, it has to be done before 14 weeks. You go in one room and they do the scan, then you get sent to another room and they take blood. Assuming your risk is above the cut off (I think it's 1:250) they don't call but you can find out your risk the next time you go in for a hospital appt.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the nt scan alone - particularly if it's mid-range, it doesnt really tell you anything, the blood test is more revealing.

Yeah I understand I won't find out the downs result before I go. At least by having a scan I can see something to make it all feel a little more real before I leave.

justarlene is offline Registered User
    Just did my NT scan both in private and public. I went to Dr Ghosh. It was quite fast except for the first try when baby refused to move at all. The blood result came back the next day. I was so surprised it was so fast.
    But I was even more surprised in Public (I went to Tsan Yuk), the sonographer did not bother to check the baby heart rate though it was my first ultrasound with them. They didn't tell me anything whether the NT measurement was normal or not. I recorded 1.05mm in my 11WK+5D.
    Thanks to Dr Ghosh, I knew I saw 2 legs 2 arms which Tsan Yuk really didn't bother to inform me. :D

In the public hospital they don't tell you much unless you specifically ask but 1.05mm is a great measurement!

oh that's great news Justarlene about the quick positive results!

I feel reassured about booking a back up private scan too because my registration is at Tsan Yuk also.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast