Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

employing a sri lankan maid

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

employing a sri lankan maid

Does anyone have any experience with Sri Lankan Maid, I'm going to hire a new one from Technic, previously I hired an Indonesian from them, but it didn't work, after the first day, the maid gave a month notice (she had worked in H.K looking after elderly before) saying there was webcam in the house and it was not written in the contract. But the agent never ask me about this and we dont have any problems with it when we hire helpers before from other agency. But we think she finds looking after elderly more comfortable than children.

Buy anyway we went for replacement from Technic, and they recommends Sri Lankan maid, we have no experience with them and it is our first time, can anyone give us some ideas? Are they better and in what areas?

rani is offline Administrator
    They are usually excellent cooks. Any chance you can do a trial and see how she gets on with your children?
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Rani, she is employed from overseas, have 2 years experience in Dubai looking after children and 1 year in Singapore working for Indian family. So really have no trial. It's the first time I am employing Sri Lankan after the Filippino and Indonesian didn't work for me.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I don't think you can make a generic assessment of what all Sri Lankan helpers would be like based on her race alone. It is surely down to the individual person like any other race/culture. Perhaps you had a bad experience with the particular helpers you employed from the Philippines and Indonesia but I would not write off an entire country of potential employees based on a couple of bad experiences with one or two. If you have specific requirements for your helper to meet (eg: certain skills or tasks required) then perhaps the agency can help to make sure that the potential employee has the relevant skills in advance. In addition, they can mention the web camera is one of your requirements so that the helper is comfortable with that.

If you are unable to do a trial or meet/interview her in person then you would have to rely on the agency and her written references. We interviewed a lot of helpers before we hired our one (from the Philippines who has been with us almost 5 years) and we only interviewed those who had written references. When we interviewed the one that we liked the best, we called her references on the phone to have a chat with them -including one in Dubai.

Good luck.

thanks starbucks for the advice, I am processing through Technic employment , and asked them for references, but they say they don't have as the helpers didn't provide, so just need to rely on the agency itself, someone told me that the agency sometimes also teach the helpers tricks so they quit and can earn more money by finding other employers for them. The first helper I have from Technic claimed there were webcams and she didn't like that, but this is what the agency tell us, but to us she said she didn't like to look after children. So don't know who is correct. I have paid 5000 to technic and they said can have replacement by paying a total of 2000, so I try again with them, but still in doubt...