Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

MCHC - what do they do?

Aquarian is offline Registered User

MCHC - what do they do?

I went through the public system for the birth of my son, and have since attended the MCHC in Hang Hau. Our first appointment was great, the doctor really took her time to give my little one a thorough check up and the wait wasn't that long.

We went again last week for what I had been told was his 'one month check'. We ended up there for 3 hours, during which time he had is weight checked by one nurse, his head measured by another nurse, his jaundice level checked (at our request) by a doctor and was finally given his Hep B jab by a 3rd nurse.

When I expressed surprise to the doctor that she wasn't going to do a proper check up (lungs/heart etc etc), she said that the clinic "only does vaccinations" and I should talk to a private doctor if I wanted to discuss my baby.

I was really surprised - I thought the MCHCs did check ups as well as vaccinations, or have I misunderstood?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It's not like seeing a pediatrician, they deal more with developmental stuff. So they do vaccinations as well as height/weight checks. They also will do milestone checks at regular intervals and if there are any red flags, you can get referrals to public doctors or therapists to help with those things. They also give breastfeeding advice/support, as well as weaning advice/support... they can also give family planning advice (some clinics, mine does for sure) and can give birth control virtually for free. I think if you were expecting pediatrician check ups, maybe you did have the wrong idea - but I still think they are valuable and are under-utilised particularly by expats. I've been to ours heaps over the years and think it's fantastic (although I've never had to wait more than about an hour!)
    carang and miran like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    excellent summary by nicole. they do some very in depth checks at various developmental stages and the vaccinations, but they are not pediatrician visits in the least.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    thanks both, I would of course go to a doctor if my baby was sick, but I guess I thought the 'one month check' would be more than just a head and weight measurement.

Also I asked the receptionist about the wait and she says it would always be 2-3 hours, and I would see a nurse not a doctor.

So overall I was quite disappointed compared to our first check there and I'm not sure whether just to go private from now on.

Have you found the developmental checks they do are frequent enough?

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, their developmental checks are frequent enough. the vaccinations are free of charge and the longest i waited was about 2 hours... but that was years and years ago...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I go to Anne Black MCHC in North Point - I've never waited for more than about an hour. I do think that the developmental checks are frequent enough - if a child is "borderline" with something, they will do another check a few months later just to follow up. I've had friends who through their MCHC check ups have had referrals to public physio, occupational therapy and speech therapy or other developmental check ups. My younger daughter has dwarfism so we have done a lot of the developmental check ups through Duchess of Kent Childrens hospital (where children who have developmental delays are often referred) and they have been fabulous. Through Duchess of Kent, the 18 month developmental check up was about 90 min long and very thorough (at the MCHC, it is also probably the most thorough developmental check up, but much shorter than that for most typically developing kids). While I have my frustrations about the public health care system here, this is one area where I think they are VERY good at. The waits are the most annoying but if you know, you can take snacks and entertainment and bear with it. You can't beat the price either.
    carang likes this.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I agree the MCHCs are great. Though I guess I'm pretty lucky as I'm usually in and out in under 45 minutes.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Hang Hau MCHC is particularly busy so try to make an appointment first thing in the morning. Also, my personal observation is that I tend to wait a bit longer than the locals, perhaps because they try to find me an English speaking nurse, I don't know. Either way, the nurses are good.

My only negative comment is that when they had to do two jabs on my child, they only do it one at a time. So by the time the pain of the first jab sinks in, my child would be bawling & would be scared of the next one naturally. It was ridiculous. In my child's previous vaccinations overseas, they do one jab in each leg at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast