Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pavlova cake

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Pavlova cake

Hi all! I need a pavlova cake for a party next week but the cake place I usually go to is not able to make it on the day I need it. Any ideas? Thanks!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

HK Foodie is offline Registered User
    Any chance you can make it yourself? I always make our pavlovas & they are delicious (as long as the humidity isn't too high!)

I can't on the day I need it as I work and won't have time to do it. But would like to try on a weekend....would you have a recipe to share? Thanks.

So anybody any other suggestions on where I can get it? Thanks.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    I find this recipe works well for me. It is from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course (and is older than I care to think about). I find it works best if you open a new packet of sugar and I leave it in the oven overnight and all the next day until I need it (if the oven isn't being used).

Pavlova
    (servers 6 people)
    This is a delicious pudding from New Zealand, which is very difficult to make if you don't have the right recipe but dead easy if you do!
    3 large eggs
    6oz caster sugar (175 g)
    1/2 pint whipped cream (275 ml)
    12 oz soft fruits (350 g) - raspberries, strawberries and red currants mixed
    A little icing sugar
    Pre-heat oven to gas mark 2, 300 F (150 C)

A lightly-oiled baking sheet, lined with greaseproof paper (which should also be oiled lightly) or silicone paper, which peels off easily.

Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and have the sugar measured and ready, Now whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and you can turn the bowl upside down without them sliding out (it's important, though, not to over-beat the eggs, because, if you do, they will start to collapse).

When they're ready, start to whisk in the sugar, approximately 1 oz (25 g) at a time, whisking after each addition until all the sugar is in. Now take a metal tablespoon and spoon the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, forming a circle about 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter. Make a round depression in the centre and, using the tip of the skewer, make little swirls in the meringue all around the edge, lifting the skewer up sharply each time to leave tiny peaks.

Now place the baking sheet in the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to gas mark 1, 275 F (140 C) and leave it to cook for 1 hour. Then turn the heat right off but leave t he Pavlova inside the oven until it's completely cold. I always find it's best to make a Pavlova in the evening and leave it in the turned-off oven overnight to dry out. it;s my belief that the secret of successful meringues of any sort is to let them dry out completely, which is what this method does perfectly.

To serve the Pavlova, lift it form the baking sheet, peel off the paper and place it on a serving dish. Then just before serving, spread the whipped cream on top, arrange the strawberries, etc., on top of the cream and dust with a little sifted icing sugar. Serve cut into wedges.

Note: of course, this can be made with just one kind of fruit- for instance strawberries. In the winter, when there are no soft fruits available, sliced bananas and chopped preserved ginger make a nice alternative filling.

Thanks so much Sarah!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I've found Donna Hay's recipe the best:
    http://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/pavlova-1

If only it wasn't for my shitty oven ... it still works, but it tends to color a little bit, which it shouldn't. Taste is great though.