Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Yew Chung vs. Kingston

OlympicMom is offline Registered User

Yew Chung vs. Kingston

All,

I'm trying to decide whether to choose b/t Yew Chung or Kingston for my 2 year old son. The posts regarding this topic were a bit outdated, so I wanted to start a new thread to see if anyone has more updated views.

In previous posts, I saw comments about Yew Chung's high staff turnover rate, not so friendly parents/helpers in the playgroup etc.. wonder if things have improved. Kingston seems to get more consistent reviews that it's fairly good.

My issue is that I do like the "whole day" program at Yew Chung for 2 year olds, seems it'd be better at training his independence earlier. The spot we got for Kingston is only for the afternoon class which means my son would have to change his lunch nap schedule quite a bit (enough time to nap and have lunch before leaving for school at 12:45pm means he'd have to start napping at 10:30am? ay... doesn't seem easy). So the Kingston offer is not very ideal, but we also fear that if we turn it down this year, it'd be difficult to get a chance in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
    O-Mom

Jomama is offline Registered User
    I'm not as familiar with Kingston, but at least with Yew Chung you don't have to worry about finding another school until secondary graduation. The language programs at Yew Chung is also excellent for kindie & primary level, but i know someone who works at the secondary section and he claimed that it is not too impressive. I don't know if Kingston have secondary? But it seem like a very popular school.

Purely at the 2 years old level, on the other hand, i truly believe that having good sleep is way more important than going to school. The human brain is not fully formed until age 3, and most of the developing is done while the kid is sleeping. I let my son stay at playgroup instead of PN at his school because the morning PN class is full and i refuse to sacrifice his sleep pattern in exchange of the afternoon PN class (he's November born, so after this summer he'll just go straight to K1, skipping PN).

If you think long term, however, that is a tougher call...

OlympicMom is offline Registered User
    Thank you Jomama! Yes I'm thinking along the same lines regarding nap time. Regarding the schools, Kingston has secondary as well, so also a through train school. I learned that one key difference b/t the two schools is the language option, Kingston offers English/Putonghua from the start. Yew Chung offers English/Cantonese until 5 years old then switch to English/Putonghua. While we do like Kingston's language option better, I think I will go with Yew Chung just because of the nap schedule factor. Thanks!

Jomama is offline Registered User
    May i ask if any of the parent or grandparents practice Cantonese at home? If there is, then YCIS is a better approach in terms of early childhood language acquisition. If now, well think of cantonese being an introductory chinese language. Given HK has a stronger cantonese environment, it is a better language to start off with, although it's not as useful in the business world in the future.