Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Adventist or Hong Kong Sanatorium? Thanks!

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User

Adventist or Hong Kong Sanatorium? Thanks!

Hello, I am 12 weeks with my first one, decided to go private and need to make decision on hospital booking now. Both the Adventist and HKSH are recommended by friends and my OB. Today I visited both ( no need to book, was told just to call before I go to make sure someone is available to show me around).
    Staff at both hospitals are super friendly and helpful. My observations are:
    - Adventist is quieter ( only two babies in the nursery and many rooms are vacant). They said this is due to the decreased number of mainlanders giving bith in HK starting Jan. Smaller team so the nurses and midwives are familiar with every mom and baby.
    - they didn't show me the delivery room at HKSH, which is on another floor from the maternity floor. The delivery rooms at Adventist are big and on the same floor, plenty of space to move around for active bith or natural birth (Annerley thinks Adventist is better than HKSH in this regard).
    - both told me that they encourage breast feeding and bring babies to stay with mom if both are healthy without medical conditions. Both have nursery facilities to help breast feeding.
    - when it comes to emergency, my feeling is that HKSH is better equipped. They can give epidural during the delivery, while Adventist prefers to arrange it in advance so they are prepared. Adventist has to transfer a baby which needs intensive care to a nearly public hospital as they do not have the facilities.

Did any mom here use one of these hospitals ? Would really appreciate if you can kindly share your experience, especially regarding:
    - staff attitude and how pro- natural birth and breast feeding they really are,
    - the capability to deal with emergency and complications,
    - whether they do let you have the baby with you even if not in a private room,
    - the general helpfulness during the delivery,
    - the general pleasantness during the stay.
    ...and anything else that you think it is worth knowing :)
    Many thanks for your help in advance!

Aquarian is offline Registered User

My understanding is *all* private hospitals transfer seriously ill babies to public hospitals (QM specifically), as none of them have enough expertise or equipment.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

I haven't given birth at either,but know quite a lot of mums that have given birth at both and just wanted to comment about the breastfeeding friendliness. Please ask them about their policy on having the baby with you and/or whether they will bring the baby to you should you not be able to get to the nursery, particularly if you are not in a private room (as even if you plan to have private room it cannot be guaranteed). Having your baby with you at all times is the key to getting breastfeeding off to a good start and my understanding is that if you are not in a private room you have to put the baby in the nursery at night. Also I know a number of mums in Sanatoriun who ended up having an emergency c section and was then on a different floor to the baby and as they couldn't get out of bed could not see their baby. They wouldn't bring the baby to the mother or even let the father take the baby to the mother! I find this barbaric and inhuman, but that was their experience. As far as I'm aware, the only private hospital that allows full rooming in of baby without a private room is the Matilda. It may be that this has changed but if breastfeeding is important to you make sure you ask these questions in advance and are fully aware of all circumstances as while they say they support breastfeeding this may only be the case if all goes to plan! Others may be able to give more information but do ask them the specific 'what ifs' above or ask you ob/gyn. HTH

miran is offline Registered User

To OP: think you have answered your question yourself. Both are good hospitals - it depends on what you are looking at. Adventist has a smaller cosier feel. Sanatorium has a very efficient, well equipped to handle anything, big hospital feel.

We delivered at Sanatorium 4 years ago and would be delivering our second one there in June as well. We were very happy with the hospital. I was specially impressed by their breast feeding support. They had 6 - 7 certified lacatation nurses on board. The advise was hands-on, consistent and not over bearing. I found them very helpful and by the time we checked out my feeding pattern and milk supply was set. I exclusively BF bub for a year and then moved him to cow's milk. We roomed in the baby all day but not in the night - when I went to the nursery. There's a lot to BF than just rooming in (as important as it is) and honestly a little bit of rest on the 4th night was one of the factors that helped me personally. Things might have changed now - so better to check.

It is a very personal decision - both are good hospitals. And I would say go with your gut feel. All the best !

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot for sharing, Aquarian, TNT and Miran. I decided to go to Sanatorium and will put down deposit this weekend. Its delivery package includes lactation consultant instructions etc. With mainland moms being limited, it should become relatively quieter as well. The other good thing about Sanatorium is that even if I end up having to stay in a semi-private room, I still have my own room - just need to share bathroom with another lady, bigger possibility for me to be able to choose whether to have the baby brought to me during night or not. The semi-private room at Adventist is one room, two beds with a curtain in between.
    All the best for your June delivery, Miran!

miran likes this.

justarlene is offline Registered User

Hi,

Anyone can share what is the package at Adventist?? Thank thanks :)

rani is offline Administrator
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

justarlene is offline Registered User

Rani is always the best... Am I right or am I right

Thank you so much.....
    Now, what I've got to wait is Dr. Ghosh delivery package. The nurse is so slowwwwww in sending to my mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast