Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EarlyYears

Annual leave and vacation leave

Margaret09 is offline Registered User

Annual leave and vacation leave

Hi,
    Reading up on the Annual leave & vacation leave entitlement for helpers, it states that in addition to the annual leave, which start as 7 days per year, we should also provide vacation leave of not less that 7 days and whether it is paid or unpaid depends on what was agreed in the contract. To quote:

Q4.12 Should vacation leave be granted in addition to annual leave? Is it paid or unpaid?
    A Vacation leave of not less than seven days should be granted in addition to the
    helper’s entitled annual leave. However, whether this vacation leave shall be paid or unpaid would depend on the term agreed in Clause 13 of the standard employment contract.

This information is from the labour department
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

I was unaware of this until I stared looking into it. How do people manage this?

Thank you

rani is offline Administrator

It looks like helpers are entitled to 7 days vacation in addition to annual leave in between contracts. I checked my previous contracts and we haven't circled either paid or unpaid for clause 13.

Am assuming as its up to the employer and helper to agree on and its not paid for, I don't think helpers are too concerned about an extra week off.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

EarlyYears is offline Registered User

After we terminated our last helper she tried to ask for money in lieu of the 7 days of vacation. I had no idea this clause was in the contract so I phoned the Labour Department. They explained to me we don't have to give anymore than her entitled 7 days of annual leave since we circle the vacations days.

If you have any questions regarding DH call the labour department. I even have them on speed dial.

miran likes this.