Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

St.Teresa's Hospital

Char84 is offline Registered User

St.Teresa's Hospital

May I know if someone has recently delivered at St. Teresa's Hospital recently?
    How are the nurses in general ward? Do they encourage vaginal delivery? Hmmm... Im extremely confused on choosing my hospital. How much does the total cost in St. Teresa end up in general ward wif doctor's fee ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

evelyne is offline Registered User
    I don't know about recently, but a friend of mine gave birth there twice and had a c section both times 2008 & 2011. I have heard they have one of the highest C section rates in HK. I visted her while she was in early labour and she was strapped to the bed with monitoring equipment and already on gaz. If a natural birth is what you want, or even just a vaginal delivery I would not choose this hospital.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I have no personal experience of St Theresa's but met a midwife who worked there at a conference. She basically said if you are aiming for natural birth and breastfeeding don't go there as they are focused on caesarian and formula. This was a couple of years ago when the majority of mothers there were mainlanders, who booked in for a caesar and intended to formula feed and the hospital policies are built around this. I doubt they have changed that much in the last few years. However your ob is also key in whether you have a natural birth; ask him/her what their Caesarian rate is and that will give you an idea. The WHO recommends < 15%, many obs in HK have rates of 75% of greater!

gatochat is offline Registered User
    I had my first there in 2009. He was 9lb 4 and I had an virginal delivery (with ventouse). Tho the whole experience was quite blurry, as I think I was high on gas! My hubby was also not allowed in the ward and swine flu was around. I guess they would have let him in if I insisted, but I just didn't have the energy to argue with them. (hubby was probably shitting in his pants by then!).

I think it all depends on the doctor you have. I think mine was pretty good. He was my mum's doctor when I was born and he is definitely not the money making type. I told him I wanted a virginal birth and he obviously tried his best to help me deliver my big baby.

I'm 39 wk at the moment and I'm going there this time round too, and hopefully soon!!!!!!

Thanks alot for your replies ladies. I will def talk to my ob abt my concerns regarding vaginal delivery.
    I was abit shock to know tht most of hk women would rather go for c-section than vaginal delivery.
    Its my first n I am opting for vaginal delivery. Hopefully, that happens! =)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    To be fair, 'most' hk women go public, and you *have* to have a vaginal birth on the public system unless there are medical reasons who you couldn't - elective c/s aren't an option. It's only private patients who can choose to have a c/s.
    miran likes this.

Tks Aquarian...
    Posted via Mobile Device

midwife is offline Registered User

hospitals...

...I work in Hk as a midwife and I know many hospitals. I cant recommend St.Teresa, in case you want a natural birth. As well breastfeeding is not one of the main topics there... if you want to go to a public - Queen Mary, it is not perfect but in my opinion the best of the public hospitals..
    privat hospitals in first Matilda - they have a bath tub, or Adventist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast