Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bed rest at 30 weeks

lulutumtum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Bed rest at 30 weeks

Hi ladies, only recently moved to hong kong and just been put on strict bed rest & lots of anti-preterm labour drugs as i had a show last sunday (29weeks) with a subsequent positive FFN test indicating pre term labour.
    Am in absolute bits as you can imagine:( This is my first baby&worried sick about what is going to happen. Feel so worried & just wondered if anyone else had any experience with this or know positive stories about situations like this?
    Anyone else been or currently on bed rest?

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi lulu, I'm expecting twins and I know bed rest is common amongst twin mums because of the greater risk of pre term labour. I haven't been through it myself but I've read a lot about it as I'm a little paranoid about it knowing the risks and having had a scare with lots of contractions at 26 weeks.

Don't know about the FFN test itself and what it looks at or can diagnose, but I do know that if indications of preterm labour are caught early enough then they can keep the babies in for a long time with bed rest and medication. That is what I understand from the books on multiple pregnancies I have, and some of the experiences of twin mums I have spoken with. Don't see why it would be any different for a singleton (but of course I am not a doctor).

It's horrible, and a scary thing to go through. Sorry that you are in this situation.

Other things that might be consoling are that most triplets are born between 29 and 32 weeks apparently, and whilst they spend time in NICU most of them are ok. And when I saw my doctor last week, when I was 30 weeks, he said that if the babies were born from now on they'd probably be ok. Of course it wouldn't be the start I had imagined, and they'd spend a long time in NICU, but at least their long term prospects are broadly ok.

TNJ is offline Registered User
    Tuen Mun
    Oh you poor thing!

Try not to stress yourself out, I'm sure stress can't be healthy!

I don't know a lot about your situation, but keep your chin up and think positive.
    And if you've been put on bed rest, then rest, relax and try reassuring yourself.

Keep us updated! Take care!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Hong kong
    I was put on restricted bed rest at 28 weeks with placenta previa. It wasn't fun! I spent a lot of time on the internet ordering baby stuff from Amazon :)

My baby stayed put until 37 weeks and had no problems. Even if your baby is early you've already reached 30 weeks, which is great, so try not to worry (I know it's hard!), every day that goes past is a bonus.

Are you going to Queen Mary?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    All the best. My little one has a congenital condition which meant she was in NICU for 4 months. I've seen a lot of preterm babies in there and talked with their mums. The best thing I could tell you is that most babies who are born at 30 weeks have very good odds these days. And every week, the odds get better and better. In fact the babies who were born at 34 weeks seem huge and often are only in the NICU for a couple of weeks... Bed rest is not fun (not that I've done it myself) but every DAY that labour is delayed, the chances are better and the risks of complication are lower. All the best xox (and I hope you can go to QMH - it has one of the best NICU's in Asia)