Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Looking for people who are foster parents

digitalhen is offline Registered User

Looking for people who are foster parents

Hi folks,

I've been commissioned by the University of Hong Kong to make a film about people who foster children in the city. Nobody has made any kind of story about them before, so it's breaking new ground. As a father myself, it's a story that really needs to be told.

I want to look at one individual family, and find out their reasons for fostering.

If you foster, or you know someone that does, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers
    Henry
    +852 9437 8037
    Moonlight likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    I've never heard of any kind of fostering programme in HK. I would be very interested in such a thing! Please let us know what you find out....
    Margaret09 likes this.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Cara - Please see attached for info on fostering http://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site_...id_fostercare/.
    carang likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    I saw a programme made by RTHK on fostering, so seems like it does exist here. There are also charities that set up dormitory-type things but with fewer kids and very involved adults. I was really touched by one family that was fostering a little girl with Down's Syndrome before an adoptive family was found for her.
    carang likes this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I met a guy who has been fostering for a few years, and a few kids within that period of time as well. I emailed him this link so if he's interested he can contact you directly. It does happen over here - and there is a huge need for it. I asked him about whether he was not preferred being an English speaking household, and he told me that in some ways there is an advantage, because some of the kids will be adopted internationally so being in an English speaking household in HK is a good "transition" for them. I would love to do it, if my hubby was supportive and if I had an extra room...
    carang and madkap like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    i am so happy to know that such a programme exists here! i'm surprised that after 18 years here, i still had not heard of it~ i think it needs more exposure so others out there might learn of its existence and then may be able to help!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've heard of it multiple times. Often if you look into adoption in HK, there is also info about foster care - both on the SWD website linked above and on sites like Mother's Choice here: http://www.motherschoice.org/page.as...rschoice&i=186

Moonlight is offline Registered User
    I am not exactly replying to Henry....

Fostering is least popular here in HK mainly because of the very conservative family culture, plus the fact that most ppl live in some tiny pigeon holes. Same to us. We love kids and before our child was born, we registered to Poleungkuk for the Child Sponsorhip. One little girl was assigned to us when she was 1yo, we receive Xmas greeting cards from her every year with a printed thank you note. We can visit her or bring out out to other places than where she lives. But we are not the only Sponsor parents she has - we are sharing her with many other people's, this is a strange situation, a very obvious example of uneven distributions, of love and money supports to orphans. Sometimes we think the donation might not be necessary at all because PLK is an organization being well taken care of by government. But we are still doing it because we couldn't trust any other charity bodies ....
    Mothers support groupKnitting & CrochetYoga buddiesCoffee groupChildren Club Language Exchange for kids or adultsFree Mandarin conversation 1:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast