Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By charade

Postnatal Depression - help needed.

Fenugreek is offline Registered User

Postnatal Depression - help needed.

Hi everyone, I've come to the conclusion that I'm suffering from postnatal depression. My baby is now 7mths old but I'm feeling worse than before. Beyond being exhausted from the lack of sleep, I am constantly wracked with guilt, angry all the time and just feeling weepy and cross all the time. I'm taking it out on everyone around me ( my poor husband) and most days feel so tired and disconnected from my child.

I would like to speak to a therapist or Dr that specializes in PND. Does anyone have any suggestions on Drs? or have been through this and can offer some help or suggestions or can share their experiences? I would love to talk to someone who has been through this too but don't know where to start.
    For what it's worth, I have great support at home ( parents, husband, helpers) but I still feel so weepy and disconnected so i know this is not normal. Would love to hear from anyone who has BTDT. thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Sorry you're going through this. I was identified as high risk for ppd when I was in hospital and was given an appt at yung fung shee memorial centre (in kwun tong) for counselling. In the end I didn't go, so I can't comment on it but it might be worth talking to someone at your mchc to see what options you have near you. Also, if you're interested, zoloft is generally considered to be safe to take if you're breast feeding.

Thanks Aguarian. I've had a look at some of the old threads here on PND - a few suggestions on Dr Owens at OT&P.
    I'll give him a call.
    Also some laments that there isn't any support group for PND in HK. Has that changed? Anyone know if there is a support group out there? I'd love to find a support group of mothers who have gone through PND or are going through it.
    Please keep any suggestions or advice coming. Thank you.

Sigh, Dr Owens is away for 2 weeks, starting today....

rani is offline Administrator
    Sorry you're going through this. A lovely person to speak to is Yvonne Heavyside. She's a health visitor, a good listener and has helped so many first time mums. She does home visits. Here's her number Tel: 9887 3235 http://thefamilyzone.hk/

If you'd like to see a Dr, here are two that Yvonne recommends.

Sarah Borwein at Central Health 2824 0822
    Sophia Kennelly in Repulse Bay 2812 2677
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

charade is offline Registered User
    Based on a questionnaire I answered when I took my baby to the local Maternal Health Centre, I was referred to a psychiatric nurse for counselling. She was really good, and then they referred me to a social worker. If you think you have PPD, I feel counselling really helps so do try to find one. It's not a magic bullet or anything but it helps give validation that you're not a crazy person. Sometimes as a new mum you feel so alone, no matter how supportive people around are trying to be. A neutral and q

A friend saw Susan Miestler at Central Health, however, she didn't really have a counselling session as she was prescribed medication and then she never went back. I've been urging her to go back.

Some of the counsellors at Phoenix Practice (http://www.phoenixpractice.com/) also seem to deal with PPD, and they are more reasonably priced.
    rani likes this.

Moonlight is offline Registered User

Pnd

I am sorry to hear that sweetheart. I can totally understand how it must have made u felt become I suffer from the same thing too. If you need someone to talk to, I am a good listener
    Posted via Mobile Device