Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Long term stay this summer

nmiller is offline Registered User

Long term stay this summer

Hi all,
    We will be staying in HK for 4-6 weeks this summer. My husband will be traveling 4-5 days of the week so I will be alone with a 4 and 7 year old.
    Need info on what area to stay, are there full service apts and if so, what does this include?
    I won't have a car so will need an area close to public transport and an area with kids that will ideally have summer camps/activities for them.
    Any info/advice is appreciated!
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    pretty much everywhere is close to public transport. only a very small minority of hkers have their own cars, so you won't be "slumming it".

you make no mention of budget or other requirements (number of bedrooms etc). without budget at least, it is impossible to know where to direct you to look.

yes, there are full serviced apartments. they are generally more expensive than a regular flat, but as you aren't here long term, they are probably a great idea.

i would definitely look for one with their own swimming pool. summer is crazy hot and sticky here, so a pool would be great. but even if you don't get one with a pool, the public pools are excellent value.

there are also camps/activities all over the city. but you may want to look at ESF as they have special camps/activities over the summer. as does the YWCA english speaking members section.

I'm not sure about budget, other than something not crazy expensive. Would need 3 bedrooms, furnished and a pool would be great. I'm so unfamiliar with HK-only been there once for a short visit. Could you give me names of neighborhoods/areas to look. Are there alot of families in the central area or more in the outer areas? I'm fine with either as long as other kids/families nearby and access to activities.
    Any other info you have is appreciated!
    Posted via Mobile Device

rani is offline Administrator
    Have a look at airbnb.com you maybe able to find something within your budget.
    carang likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

budget is extremely important... is it $1000 USD or $20,000 USD? budget will largely dictate location.

but you might be able to find something short term in Discovery Bay (loads of kids, beach, easy supermarket access, ferry access to hk island, bus to airport and sunny bay mtr/tung chung mtr)

convention plaza in wanchai might be ok (but VERY pricey).

there are also serviced flats in pacific place, i believe, which is in admiralty.

ok, so budget would be something up to $5000 USD. Are there good areas for what I'm looking for in new territories (please excuse my ignorance, I'm just learning HK now)
    I think I'd prefer something with access on a road (rather than only by ferry, which I understand is how it is in Discovery Bay)

Is it correct to assume that if u are in the outer areas, you can pretty much find what u need there without going to the central/city area, like Mongkok?
    Posted via Mobile Device

AmyH is offline Registered User
    We are currently living at gold coast in New Territories. They do provide serviced apartments here. There is a beach, pool, football pitch, tennis courts and lots of kids about to make friends with. A lot of families do leave during the summer though.
    It is about 45 mins to 1 hour away from central. There are shuttle buses to Tsuen Wan and Olympic and the hotel bus goes to TST every hour. There is also public buses. The website is here:

www.goldcoast.com.hk
    nmiller likes this.

discovery bay also has buses to the airport, tung chung, and sunny bay. tung chung and sunny bay both have mtr stations.

with a budget of $40,000-ish per month, then you have a few more options. I have friends coming over in a few minutes, but afterwards, I'll search and see what I can find and post to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast