Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

I've registered for Public NOW WHAT?

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamojo View Post
    Hi Faithools,

You literally posted this on the day I went to the public hospital to register and had a complete breakdown over the whole situation. No one was friendly, no one was informative, and no one spoke English. Nothing like crying as you leave the cramped registration area to have people staring...
    Anyway, your questions were the same as mine, same moment, and the answers have been so reassuring.
    I took the advice others said, and booked an appt. at my clinic in Tai Wai. To see the obstetrician is $600, and then $300 for an ultrasound. The earliest appointment I could get was for next week. But public hospitals / private clinics seem to be the way to go.
    Thanks for asking / sharing info everyone!!
    I know how you feel here. I went to Tsan yuk and it's wasn't particularly pleasant either, especially after I'd had 2 very lovely and reassuring private appointments in slick new offices. The wait was long and service quite brusque and the information wasn't so forthcoming. I was told to wait until they called my name for the blood tests, but it turned out as I patiently waited for 25 mins it was a free for all and who ever pushed through the door first got seen. Really made me wonder about going private in those 3 hours I was so cranky! But luckily you hardly have to go there I think as the prenatal checks up minimal. thankfully I did the oscar test and scan privately so could bypass that extra wait. I think with the private back up, the public is doable. Now I know what to expect next time ;)
    bellamojo likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Always very frustrating definitely, but, they are good at what they do - especially if you have complications. I think the knack is to go in expecting it to be a terrible couple of hours, and then you won't be disappointed! My husband always got mad when they'd snap 'ID card!' without even looking at you, but I guess I've been in hk so long I'm numb to it now.
    carang and bellamojo like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    yep, take a book, tablet computer or make sure your phone is charged up with games to play!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    To Bellamojo & Faithools,

As I am typing this, I am waiting to register (at 17 weeks) at Prince of Wales Shatin & this is my second baby in this hospital. It's certainly intimidating when no one speaks your language & you don't know the next steps as you sit & wait forever. Just sitting here right now brings back my anxiety. I find, and this is just a personal observation, that my paperwork seem to take longer. It feels frustrating when they seem to be calling everyone & the other women are breezing in & out while you sit & wait. Perhaps foreign documents take a few more steps & when I go to the counter, they do find an English speaking person for me. If you have appointments in a public hospital, set aside plenty of time, expect service to be abrupt but come in with lots of patience & a smile.

Btw, I do shared care (private check-ups). Bellamojo, which clinic in Tai Wai do you go? I go all the way to Wan Chai & central for mine & I live in Tai Wai.

bellamojo is offline Registered User
    Hi!
    I have my first appointment next week - but I just went to the Human Health clinic in the MTR station. It's where I had the confirmation test done. They said they have an OBGYN, Dr. Sarah Chan I think her name is (?) and she's there Tuesday and Friday mornings. Not a long wait to get in either - two weeks when all's said and done.
    Thanks for your post, Newbie_hk - it was very reassuring to hear that! Even though, like you said, it seemed like I waited a longer time, and "abrupt" was an understatement. :)

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Bellamojo, let me know how your appointment goes & if the dr is any good, I might change. The drs I see in Central & Wan Chai are great, very reassuring & fantastic bed side manners (as my mum would say). However, I find the trip a bit tiring and their fees are quite steep.

bellamojo is offline Registered User
    Hi Newbie_hk, just sent you a PM re Tai Wai clinic. All's good.

Faithools, hope things are getting along well for you!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123