Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Activities after baby born in Public hospital?

MiMo is offline Registered User

Activities after baby born in Public hospital?

Hi All,

I am going to deliver my baby in Public Hospital. This is my first baby. I would like to know few things as per below.

1. What is the detail procedure which delivery room staff follows after the baby is born?
    2. Do I need to inform the delivery staff that I will prefer breastfeed my baby rather than milk feed?
    3. Will they keep baby in special room or baby will stay with me all the time?
    4. Do they teach how to bath and change the nappy and other details?

Looking forward for your kind advice!

Regards,

MiMo

karhu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMo View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to deliver my baby in Public Hospital. This is my first baby. I would like to know few things as per below.

1. What is the detail procedure which delivery room staff follows after the baby is born?
    2. Do I need to inform the delivery staff that I will prefer breastfeed my baby rather than milk feed?
    3. Will they keep baby in special room or baby will stay with me all the time?
    4. Do they teach how to bath and change the nappy and other details?

Looking forward for your kind advice!

Regards,

MiMo
    From my memory (which is a little hazy now):
    1. Baby checked my pedi and the wiped clean then given to me to Breastfeed straight away, after wheeling to postnatal ward, baby was taken to have a bath and maybe checked temp while I rested and got my wound checked
    2. Yes inform the hospital and staff you want to Breastfeed then you can feed within the hour baby is born, at QEH they have a birth plan you can fill out - and I think they ask you a few times too, and they also teach you how to do it
    3. Baby will be with you most of the time, unless you make need a break, or when you first got to post natal ward, I was by myself from 9pm-2/3am after giving birth and at 2am baby wheeled in for me to feed and I think wheeled back to baby room till the next feeding, then baby was with me the whole time from the morning except for when I had classes or when she needed to be checked
    4. Yes they teach you how to change nappy and take temperature etc, I think they teach you how to give a bath but I missed that somehow I think

MiMo is offline Registered User

Hi Karhu,

thanks for very detailed info. :)

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Very much depends on the hospital and the health of you and the baby. Which hospital are you going to?

It's worth telling them you will be breast feeding - they will give you help with latching on and positioning.

At UCH I had a real battle with the nurses to keep my baby with me - they kept trying to take him away and put him in the nursery with all the other babies. As long as you keep arguing with them, they eventually give up and let you keep him with you. They will take him away for baths and brief checks in the mornings though.

They will teach you how to change a nappy, and there is a film they show every morning (in Cantonese) with details of how to bath, take temperature etc. I can't speak canto, but I wanted practice bathing, so they called me in for the last 10 minutes of the film (the bath section) and I watched that, then I was allowed to practice in the nursery with one of the midwives observing/helping me.