Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Episiotomy in QEH/Throughout HK

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    The morning I went in to have my daughter, the hospital staff gave me a consent form to sign to say that they could perform an episiotomy on me if needed.
    I refused to sign the form and told them that it was something I was not prepared to sign before labour had even started as I felt that they might just see the form and do it, even if it was not necessary. They did not argue with me.
    Congratulations AmyH!!!!
    Thanks for commenting!

Which hospital was this in? Did you end up needing one?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    It was three and a half years ago in the prince of Wales hospital in shatin. I ended up with a failed induction and emergency c section in the end so no need for an episiotomy!

HK Foodie is offline Registered User
    Hi TNJ,
    I had my 3rd baby (but 1st in HK) at QEH last June. I had to constantly defend my "no episiotomy" stance. I'm just glad it was my 3rd babe or I think I may have been pressured into an episiotomy. One of the midwives even said to me that the delivery will be much faster with it! She is probably correct but I still didn't need a stitch! I just needed them to give me time to stretch.
    Once I finally got it through to them I didn't want an episiotomy they were actually quite fine with it.
    Best of luck with your delivery!

karhu is offline Registered User
    Mine was performed because I had a prolonged stage 2 labour (or something like that) and my baby's heart rate was not stable so they performed the epi so my baby could come out quicker and she was delivered when a doc did an epi and maybe 2 other ppl doing something else... One pushing the baby from my baby one pulling from below! Must say when it was performed it was super painful (less than contractions though) and when it healed it was super painful also!!!!

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    AmyH! I thought you said 'This morning' - haha sorry my mistake!

This is my first baby and I have read they are really for episiotomy in HK but in the UK it is often seen as a last resort sort of thing.. I really dont want one and I hope QEH will honor my hopes!

It sounds like episotomys are so painful and take longer than a tear to heal - I know HK hospitals are busy but I dont want them to be like "Oh shes not stretching enough lets just do one to quicken the delivery"

Of course I mean if it is MEDICALLY needed I will do it but not just for their convenience

Thanks for all of your detailed feedback xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12