Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Episiotomy in QEH/Throughout HK

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User

Episiotomy in QEH/Throughout HK

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you ladies can tell me a bit about your births in HK.. QEH in particular.

I will deliver my daughter in QEH in August and I am currently preparing my birth plan.

I have read in various threads on here and other websites that episiotomy is quite common and in some hospitals routine throughout HK. Though alot of the threads I have read seem to be very old 2000 days+

Unless its completely necessary I do not want to have one done.. Whilst making my birth plan I am wondering who do I give it to? Do i just give it to a midwife on the day of delivery? Or do I hand it in at my next antenatal check up?

Any comments would be great

Thanks girls!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I gave mine at a routine prenatal check (at the hospital), the doctor discussed it with me (a bit) at the time, and it found it's way to my medical file on the ward.

karhu is offline Registered User
    I think I gave mine on the day of and you can check whether you want to not have it done if possible... And supposedly at QEH, it is not a routine procedure anymore, but it is still a common procedure and many says its better done than have it naturally torn...

TNJ
    Thanks ladies, I really want to avoid having it done.. So I think I will hand it in and have a chat with a dr at my next antenatal check. :)

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I handed mine on the day of delivery & had several copies with me. I saw them refer to it during my labour, delivery & post natal care. I think they found it quite useful, especially since I could not speak any Cantonese. I used an Epi-No for my 2 births & went through a natural delivery with just a graze & didn't need a single stitch. I think Annerley is having a talk on that.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I took mine to the hospital when I was delivering and gave it to the nurses there. This was at QMH. They honoured most of my wishes, including no episiotomy. First time around, I had one and it healed painfully. I tore a bit naturally 2nd time around and it was MUCH less painful...

TNJ
    thanks for your replies ladies! :) x

AmyH is offline Registered User
    The morning I went in to have my daughter, the hospital staff gave me a consent form to sign to say that they could perform an episiotomy on me if needed.
    I refused to sign the form and told them that it was something I was not prepared to sign before labour had even started as I felt that they might just see the form and do it, even if it was not necessary. They did not argue with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast