Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Worried mum to be

Smallcat is offline Registered User

Worried mum to be

Hi everyone

I moved to HK with my fiancée about 8 weeks ago and last week (to my surprise!) I found out that I was 20 weeks pregnant.

Having got over the initial shock and excitement we are now starting to think about the practicalities of living with a baby here. There are a number of things I'm worried about including:
    • Air pollution
    • Getting around
    • Health care

I live on HK island and there is no way I will be walking around with a pram! Surely there is only so much you can carry with nappy bags and a baby that's getting heavier by the day!

Does anyone have any experiences of coping with a new baby and can help ease some of my worries!

Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    many people use a pram in hk... it's not the easiest but it is possible, and once baby hits about 15lbs, that is all there is to do. before that time, most people use a baby carrier. if you breast feed, you only need to carry a couple of nappies and some wipes. not too much. if you bottle feed, then you need a lot more stuff!

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    Hi Smallcat,

I feel your concern I'm currently 24 weeks! I was worried about the exact same thing... thinking about pollution especially.
    Try not to stress yourself out, it seems there are far worse places to be bringing up a child in the world consider yourself lucky to be living somewhere where healthcare is excellent! (Especially the public system)

Getting around seems stressful yes I agree with you 100000% but I imagine when the baby is born you wont want to be taking him/her everywhere within the first few months.. then when the baby is a little bigger you can use a baby carry that straps onto you (which is ideal for hong kong life!).

Congrats!! :)

matemate is offline Registered User
    ah if you have just found out at 20 weeks, your biggest worry should be to find a hospital!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by matemate View Post
    ah if you have just found out at 20 weeks, your biggest worry should be to find a hospital!

Though this is not a worry if you're going public....
    carang and lesliefu like this.

karhu is offline Registered User
    And it is easier to get a place nor even at private hospital

Baby carrier is useful and my baby is now 18lb and I still can manage to carry her using the basic babybjorn for up to 15min then after a break can carry her for another 10min and I am 98lb and 5'1", you can invest in a better carrier if you don't want to use a stroller most of the time.... And there are lighter weight and smaller stroller also you can get which makes going to places alone with your baby easier

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Girlfrommars is offline Registered User
    Hi Smallcat, don't be worried. I found getting around tough at first (I'm in Pok Fu Lam, so only buses from here), but you will work out what is best for you :)

I think the thing I found most useful was the Geobaby Due Date forums, if you can get a group together to meet up, it's a great way to share your experiences, find a OBGYN / hospital, or have a general moan about the pollution! I found some of my best friends here in Hong Kong that way and we still arrange playdates for the kids.

Good luck, you will be fine.

GFM x

Smallcat is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm living in Sheung Wan so registered with Queen Mary.

I'm sure it will all work out ok in the end! Just dreading being 8 months pregnant in the middle of HK summer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast