Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RinkoWingman

newborn care ideas

cherrymae is offline Registered User

Lightbulb newborn care ideas

Hi! It would be my first time to take care of a newborn. I am wondering if you have some tips/recommendation/stories about newborn care that will benefit a new mom?

Thank you

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    What aspect of care are you thinking about? Feeding or sleeping?

carang is offline Registered User
    that is a very general question. if you informative answers, you may have to rephrase the question.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

RinkoWingman is offline Registered User
    I found the first week was hell. But the first moment we were alone at home, that was magical.

Since then, every week has been more fun. Apparently that will continue for a while before becoming more stable.
    My girl is 15 weeks now.

The getting used to the new sleeping patterns and all the fuss. The parental responsibility and worry! My God! I never worried much, but now I know what worry means.

Tips?
    Download the app Baby Connect. Let's you keep track of everything and is real fun for the partner that is at work to see what is happening with the kid.
    Also The Wonder Weeks helps me a lot. That shows what cycles the kids go through and if something changes, what could be going on. I love it, it put science and research into kiddy care. As a man, I can totally relate to that.

Other:
    Think before you do something. Think of safety and hygiene. That's what the kid entitled to. So many stupid people in the world.
    Other than that, you cannot really go wrong. As long as the kid is safe and healthy you can get through the day.

Ow yeah. Rhythm. Set a schedule, maybe not on times (we didn't) but on what happens. When she wakes up, I bottle feed her pumped BM. We burp. Sit for a while. Change the diaper. Play for a while and go to the bedroom for a story.
    I first wrap her up in the swaddle and put her in bed. She has a mobile that plays music that she loves. I close the curtains, I read out loud from a book. I use my most boring sleepy voice.
    If she doesn't fall asleep I pet her head like I would a dog or cat. And keep putting the dummy in place.

2nd wake up is less play, and put her in the bath.
    3rd is listen to music
    4th is either mommy cuddling time or reading from a kids book .
    Lately I take her out every afternoon, but she sleeps in any walker, no longer than 30 mins. So that kinda kills your schedule. But that's surviving for me. ;-)

Try to stay sane and enjoy every bit of it. Don't forget to connect with your partner.

Anything else?

When are you due?

Rick
    Dillon likes this.

I'm sorry ladies if I wasn't too specific as I was quite overwhelmed with being a new mom and hoping I would know the most important things about newborn care such as bathing, cord care, sleeping and the like.

I would appreciate random suggestions about newborn care that you think is the most important.

Right now, I just carried on with the help of my husband doing things with precaution. I am also breastfeeding but producing less.

Hope to hear from you guys at your most convenient time.
    Last edited by cherrymae; 05-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Hi Rick!

Thank you for taking the time to write that. It is very helpful for a new mom like me. I will definitely keep your recommendations in mind. :-)

carang is offline Registered User
    the more you breastfeed, the more you will produce... it will just take a few days for your production to increase accordingly.

cord care: follow dr's instructions (sorry, it was a long time ago for me)

sleep: sleep whenever baby is sleeping. when mummy is tired, it will affect breastfeeding, just as stress will.

overall: trust your mummy instinct. take any and all help offered. do not try to be a superwoman. if you don't know, ask someone. there are lots of new mums out there going through exactly the same thing. there are no stupid questions. and most people will not be put out by your questions.

this is a great forum for asking questions.