Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Shampoo during pregnancy?

Loveisgood is offline Registered User

Shampoo during pregnancy?

Hello everyone,

This is my first pregnancy so everything is so new to me, still trying to get use to many changes.

Did you change your shampoo/conditioner/soap during pregnancy?

I hear some say what you use that washes off within few minutes is not something to worry about, it will not harm the baby. It's really moisturizers, lotions that you need to look out for. And I hear some say whatever you use during pregnancy will absorb to your baby.

I thought its best to get some advice here, hope you can share your experience!
    Thank you

carang is offline Registered User

never worried about any of that stuff!

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

charade is offline Registered User

Me neither...there are some broad food rules to be adhered to and thats it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Food and harmful chemicals - like insecticides, cleaners, most medicines should be avoided, but you don't need to worry about skin creams etc

twontheway is offline Registered User

Hi Loveisgood,

I also read that certain chemicals in beauty products may harm the baby. I was planning to switch to natural/organic products before I got pregnant anyway, then did some research and found that creams containing retinol and salicylic acid should be avoided. There's also a list of other chemicals found in beauty products which may be unsafe. Of course it might not be essential to avoid these products but it does give expecting mums something to consider.

Dillon is offline Registered User

The only thing I have really avoided so far is dying my hair, but I do plan to do it with something as natural as possible with no ammonia.

As for the rest of my products, I find that I need more than before as my skin is so dry and also my hair is drier. There are a lot of brands who make creams for pregnancy, anti stretch mark creams etc and oils all of which I lapped up in clarins much to the sales persons delight ;) however I'm sure you could stock up on johnsons baby oil for half the price.

I've read all sorts on the subject and for most there appears to be no conclusion. The one thing I felt is going through 8-12 week section of feeling bloated, fat and looking knackered I needed a bit of pampering and a manicure to make myself feel a bit better. That could just be totally vain but it worked for me as a little pick me up.

Loveisgood is offline Registered User

Hello ladies,

Thank you so very much for your replies and advice.

My OB only mentioned to me stay away from Retinol so I am assume if anything else was dangerous then it would be mentioned to me. I also have a book 'What to expect when your expecting', the only things it mentioned to stay away was also retinol and salicylic acid.

I think the list can go on and on depending on how much you go out and read, some even says stay away from Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Parabens, etc.... BUT these ingredients are in Cetaphil products which is known to be mild and delicate to even be use on babies.

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Wow, I had no idea, I stopped dyeing my hair, but other than that I just carried on using all the stuff I had always used - though I never use skin cream anyway.

It's true that you can drive yourself mad trying to avoid all the things that someone, somewhere tells you might harm the baby. I remember being told by a lady in the hospital not to drink cold drinks because the baby doesn't like cold things and I would have a miscarriage (!). The best advice I was ever given was 'don't do anything that would make you feel guilty afterwards'.