Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

hong kong public hospitals cord cutting

twindledum! is offline Registered User

hong kong public hospitals cord cutting

i read recently that many midwifes advocated leaving the umbilical cord for a couple of minutes after birth, waiting for the pulsing to stop before cutting,

this allows more blood from the mother to pass and helps prevent iron deficiencies, this seems to make more sense to me as it seems a bit unnatural to snip it so quickly,

This isn't yet standard practice in the NHS in the UK apparently, and since I think HK is a bit old fashioned possibly I wondered what happens here?

We are currently registered with the United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong, and have our next scan end of may.

thanks!

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at the United Christian and I requested delaying the cord cutting in my birth plan. The doctor I discussed my birth plan with had no problem with this request.

Unfortunately I ended up having an emergency c section after a failed induction at 43wks so I didn't get much of what I asked for, but they tried their hardest to comply with the things I could have.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Redestiny - I had an (anticipated) emergency c-section at UCH too, but they pretty much ignored everything I asked for. My birth plan was written with an emergency c/s in mind, so it was very much based on that (baby to stay with me in the recovery room, if not possible , baby to stay with my husband, skin to skin contact with my husband if I wasn't able, breastfeeding as soon as possible). As I said, I didn't get any of this (despite my son being perfectly healthy and with a 10 on his APGAR) , so my first 12 hours after the birth were pretty horrendous. (Though it got a lot better.)

It's too late to make a difference for me now obviously, but can I ask what you managed to get UCH to do for you?

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    Hi Aquarian

My Birth plan was quite short but had been written with a natural, intervention free delivery in mind. After 4 days of repeated pessary induction, they had kind of worn me down with 'procedure' and I had given up on my birth plan completely.

The Dr told me that I wouldn't be allowed Skin to Skin, husband present etc. I did ask that if they baby was healthy that my husband be allowed to see him, to which they agreed, this however was not done. The first my husband knew myself and the baby were ok was as I was being wheeled to the recovery room I saw him waiting near the lift lobby. The nurse then kindly gave him the visiting hrs and said he could see the baby then!

My son was born at 13.10 and was brought to me for his first feed at 14.40, he remained with me then, much to the annoyance of my ward mates, until I discharged us 2 days later. The nurse kept coming and asking for permission to bath him and telling me he was 'dirty' after a while I realised it was because I had requested he not be bathed in my birth plan, I relented after the 10th time of asking as they weren't going to give up until they had bathed him. So in short I got him to stay with me and exclusive breast feeding and they didn't bath him without my permission. Not a lot, but better than nothing at all...

Note to the OP. My birth wasn't what I had hoped or planned for but the standard of care I received at the United Christian was excellent and I would definitely go there again if I have another baby. The midwifes and nurses where kind and caring and always helpful.

twindledum! is offline Registered User
    its great to know whats going on so we aren't surprised, yes a birthing plan needs to be discussed.

Is it normal not to let you take photo's or get a print out of the scans? we were so gobsmacked at our first so didnt really push or question when they said no photo - but later on we saw they had a print out..

thanks!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Redestiny - that sounds a lot like my experience. I was very happy with the medical care, but I think there could be a lot of improvements for emotional care - especially for the poor fathers. They were constantly telling my husband off for holding the baby.

OP - you could ask the doctor/midwife to delay clamping. They might agree if they're not too busy (and I think things are less hectic now that the mainland mums aren't there anymore) but I wouldn't hold your breath. They'll be anxious to start checking your baby.

twindledum - yes that's normal. I read somewhere that if you want a photo you need to tell reception when you arrive, and you need to pay $200 (I think) and you'll get 1 picture from the scan. I never asked though, my private OB always gave me loads.