Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By 2010-NewDad

helper issues...please help

bsc1280 is offline Registered User

helper issues...please help

Hi there

we are a family of four and have 2 kids (6 & 2 years old). My wife is a SAHM and helps with the household chores. we have tried 2 helpers from philipines and the it did not work out too well.
    The second one today told me that she was to go back (although I think she found another employer with no SAHM and no kids)

she worked with us for 9 months and has been telling lies right from the start, (havibg a brother in consulate, refusing to pay her agency fees etc). anyways I ignored all of that as she worked fine and I realize that with 2 kids our workload is more than the average HK home. she starts at 6 am when my elder kid needs to get ready from school and normally finish off 9:30is. With 2 hour break in between. its a long day, I know but we have little choice daughter has to get up 6 am and I work till late and come home and eat dinner around 8:30ish and hence she finishes late....

given our experience, I am now thinking about trying other nationalities as filipionos seem to have a lot of "good friends" to tell them how the can find a better employer with no kids on a sunday
    I really want to try sri Lankan helpers, Please can you let me know about any agencies which specialize or deal with srii Lankan helpers, Indonesian/Nepalese will be my second choice
    I would really appreciate your helper here

thanks a lot

rani is offline Administrator
    Sorry you're going through this. It's not easy finding the right helper. There are some fantastic Filipino helpers out there. We've employed a couple and but have also had our share of crazies too.

I don't know of any agency that specializes in Indian / Sri Lankan helpers.

There are a few helpers who advertise on GeoExpat

Domestic Helper Available - Full Time (Ads By Helpers) - Hong Kong Classifieds

You can use the search function to locate their ads.

Also, not sure if you read the papers that Techinic is working with the Govt to bring in helpers from Bangladesh. Just saw on their site they have Sri Lankan helpers listed.

http://www.technic.com.hk
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    You would be better off trying to work out how you can treat your helper better to be honest, rather than finding one who doesn't have any friends that can tell her what a raw deal she has. Even if you find one that is "trapped" with you because she doesn't have friends to help find a reasonable employer do you think she will be energetic, cheerful and a good member of your household while working constant 80 hour weeks?

I can't believe anyone expects their helper to work 15.5 hour days with a 2 hour break. I don't think the problem is that your helper is Filipino and you can resolve it by getting an Indonesian or Sri Lankan helper.

bsc1280 is offline Registered User
    Thanks All

i realize the workload is more than it would be for a household with no kid or 1 kid. but I certainly do make sure she gets enough rest.

Pls mind that my younger one wakes up 2-3 times at night and something sleeps around 12. and I have never distubred or asked my helper to wake up. Yes she is up from 6 am to 10 am with 2 hours break but its not that I am constantly asking us to do the tasks. she manages her ownt time mostly and it does include spending time with kids/watching tv etc

and I did ask and did some research on the helper workloads and dont think I am an outlier.

wilkette46 is offline Registered User
    How about hiring a second helper to back up the first? Or get someone in to do some extra hours. 2 kids seems like a lot for one person w both parents working