Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice welcome for baby on the way

Colzers is offline Registered User

Advice welcome for baby on the way

Hi everyone I am the mother of two girls and just found out baby number 3 is on the way! I planned on next year having another baby so I would be back home before due date. Looks like that will not be the case now. I am very concerned about having the baby here for a few reasons. The biggest is I had complications with delivery for both my kids. To much bleeding and had to be giving shots to stop it baby blood pressure was to low and both times they thought the umbilical cord was wrapped but was not. Any advice on a really good doctor and hospital? I have quality healthcare insurance if that helps.... I want to be happy about this pregnancy but my anxiety about having the baby here is taking over. I'm not ready to tell friends and family so I am hoping some of you will have some advice on what to do. Thank you!!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Honestly if you're worried about complications, go public. I had placenta previa, haemorraging, etc and the medical care was excellent.

Thanks for the advice. What hospital did you go to?

I went to united christian because that's my catchment area. If there might be an issue with the baby you might be better at queen mary as they have the best nicu. I gather you can get a private room there which might be the best of both.

Thank you I heard queen Mary was good from searching online thanks!

charade is offline Registered User
    If I had insurance coverage, I would go private (ideally at Matilda, Sanitorium or Canossa) and pick one of the more experienced doctors. I agree that public has the best equipped NICU but I think if the concern is the mother, then an experienced doctor who can do a bit more handholding than you would get in the public system would be good. However, if your insurance cannot cover you completely - and the cost of complications in private can go through the roof - then public medical care is very sound, and may have the best equipment.

Ah yes, I forgot the pregnancy bit. Even if you do go public I would definitely still have a private ob to see during the pregnancy so you can have more regular check ups and a second opinion. The hospital doctors always seemed to be in a rush. I saw dr wilfred wong towards the end of mine - he was excellent, very knowlegeable and reassuring.