Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Antenatal ultrasound

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User

Antenatal ultrasound

Hi can moms who used private antenatal care during pregnancy share the number of ultrasound scans that you have had please? I have had ultrasound during each individual visit to my OB: at week 6, week 10, week 12, week 16, week 20...I understand that some are necessary, week 12 for OSCAR and week 20 for structural scan, but am worried that I will get one everytime that I go, i.e. every four weeks during second trimster, and every week during the third!
    In the UK, normally there are only two ultrasound if the pregnancy has no complication - which has been my case so far. I have done some online research, although there is no conclusive evidence that ultrasound can cause harm to the babies (again there is no test done on pregnant women), some people argue that subject to high frequent soundsave can potential affect baby's brain development.
    I am thinking to tell my OB during subseuqent visits that I don't want an ultrasound, once the baby is big enough, she/he should be able to check it by hands using her/his experience right?
    Any experience/advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I had *a lot* (11 I think) because of complications - most in the 3rd trimester. But I was anxious about having so many as well. I think OBs here are very quick to give you a scan even if you don't actually 'need' one - no doubt because they can charge you for it and also because mums are always curious to see if they can!

But unless they've spotted something that needs to be monitored there's no reason to have any more than the 11/12 week and 20 week ones. You're right in other countries (and in the public system here) you don't get scanned every visit, so it's not necessary. I'm sure your OB will understand if you don't want one each time (whether you'll be able to resist the temptation to have a look at how your little one is growing is another matter though :) ). If they won't respect your views, you might want to consider a different OB.

I'm not sure why you'd need to go every week in the 3rd trimester though - I certainly didn't go that often,

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User
    Thanks Aquarian! I will try not to beat your 11 times record :) You are right - seeing the little one turning and moving is great fun, and during the days when I was feeling sick/tired/lack of energy/suffering from headache and allergies, it really helped for me to stay cheerful and positive. It is great that the baby kicks and hiccups often now, so I can feel its existence anytime.
    I will let my OB know about no unnecessary scans during my week 24 check up and clarify how often I need to visit during the last trimester.