Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

reusable, washable diapers really good??

bubblefish is offline Registered User

reusable, washable diapers really good??

hi i would like to seek some advices on reusable and washable diapers. ( those with inserts)
    Please provide me the pros and cons before i buy loads.

thank you so much

TaiPomum is offline Registered User
    Hi Bubblefish,
    I have nearly one year old and use reusables about half of the time. My main reasons for using reusable cotton nappies were that is it definitelly healthier for the little one as they are more breathable and that it is more environmentally friendly. the breathability might be especially important for boys in hot climates as the healthy sperm development is dependent on suitably low temperature. I suppose it is also helpful for nappy rush. My baby never had it but I think it is mainly due to the fact that we are using nappy free communication method where since he was about three months old he used a bucket to wee and poop and nowadays he never poops in the nappy and wees in it about 2/3 of the time. I also find it very easy to wash the nappies. Just leave them to dry on the balcony and once dry leave them wi other laundry and wash on normal cycle together with his other clothes.
    I would strongly recommend that you get just a couple of nappies first and give them a try before purchasing the full set to see how it suits you.
    If you have any more questions let me know.

Primrose is offline Registered User
    Hi Taipomum,

Where can I buy resuseble nappies? Is there any particular good ones?

Thanks

TaiPomum is offline Registered User
    Eugene baby stock them but I am sure you can find them at any bigger baby shop. There is such a huge variety of designs and systems that it might seem quite confusing at first.
    I personally use Imse Vimse organic cotton diaper covers that are super thin, waterproof and super easy to put on. I have just two pairs, which I find more than enough as I don't wash them more than once a month as they don't get wet anyway.
    And then I use muslin squares to fold inside. I find them easy to use and very easy try in this high humidity environment. I have 15 squares. If I use just cotton nappies the while day I use about 4 ot 5 during the day so then wash them every other day but usually i use them just half day (and use disposables when going out and during the night) and then it is enough to wash them about once a week.
    I also purchased fleece liners taht might be very handy if you can't change the nappy that often and your baby does mind feeling wet (i.e. at night or for day trips) but I don't use them anyway and change the nappy more often instead. I think the liners can be very handy for separating the solids also but as I mentioned in the previous post I don't have this problem.