Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Helpers prefer not to work for Indian families???

rani is offline Administrator

We have a reputation for overworking our helpers. We hired a new helper last year and it took me a while too. Our fav helper stayed with us for 5 years and left us to get married to her BF in the US. She still calls us regularly.

Since then have had 2 helpers who weren't the right fit for our family. Last year, I searched again, and placed ads on GeoExpat.Com. Interviewed several and finally found a FAB helper. Even after she signed with us, her friends did try and persuade her to change her mind. But she liked us instantly and we her and we're all very happy. There are some gems out there, who don't have any issues working with Indians.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

charade is offline Registered User

No, it didn't feel like walking on eggshells at all. While there are some helpers who have this bias, there are plenty who would be happy to have a job. I'd assume that those who sign a contract with you are coming to the job with an open mind. I think your agent has over-emphasized this point to you, probably because of his own bias.

geiboyi is offline Registered User

But there is definitely a difference between the culture of domestic staff between westerners and Indians. In India there is still a very strong tradition of domestic help, sometimes in good conditions and sometime fairly horrific ones (young girls being sold to families basically as indentured domestic servants, what would have previously been called slaves). In Europe, for example, the idea of employing domestic help is seen an an incredible luxury, and I suspect there is really a difference in the way helpers are treated, in many cases. My two former helpers had pretty horrific stories about their (Indian) ex-employers.

Gracey is offline Registered User

This sounds like the agent is biased, not necessarily the helpers he/she represents. Is the agent local Chinese? There are alot of biases against Indians and other ethnic minorities in HK. (I say that, a bit shame-faced, as a local myself. I don't hold those views, but I know others who do). That said, there are also agents who will badmouth mainlanders or other groups -- just alot of stereotyping.

And sometimes that trickles down to helpers, who are so terrified that they will be mistreated or underpaid here. And many of them have never worked in a multicultural city like HK before.

I think most helpers just want a decent employer regardless of skin color. My Filipina helper's friend loves her Indian employers, who are strictly vegetarian. That's why she gets a food allowance, cooks her own food, and also has long lunch breaks. My neighbors are Indian, too, and they seem to get along just fine with their helper.

I've gotten 2 great helpers over the years from Arrow Agency, run by two Americans in Kowloon. They would never say anything like that. They're decent folk who seem to personally know the women they represnt - maybe not the cheapest in town. But when you are hiring someone to be in your home all day, you want to spend a little more to make sure things go well.

Arrow Employment Services

Ask for Allan or Ione, a husband and wife team. Their great assistant is named Swannie.

Good luck! And remember that, while there are some bad apples in HK (particularly helper and property agents) most people are pretty decent here.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Planning to have someone start in Sept is very smart. First of all, some babies come early. Also, in my experience, you'll need a bit more hand when you are 8, 9-months pregnant, especially in this heat. I'm also pretty independent, and used to doing my own housework and running my own groceries. But the end of pregnancy is tough. Plus, you don't want to have to get used to a new helper and a new baby at the same time.

If you want someone to start in Sept, start now. If you're hiring directly from the Philippines, you will need to wait for both HK Immigration and the Philippine side to approve papers. They say it takes 4-6 weeks. But the reality is that doesn't count weekends, public holidays from both countries and random delays like Philippine elections. And it doesn't count the time you need to actually meet the agent, do interviews, choose someone you like, etc. I'd say it actually takes 2 months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast