Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Advice on how to look for a helper

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    Hi Chipon

I got my helper through word of mouth, she has been working for us since March and has been absolutely fantastic.

I was weary about paying for a helper through an agency because of the cost. In total, to hire my helper (who was already based in HK) cost me less than $1000. Thats including her visa and insurance! She went to immagration by herself and found out what she needed then got the forms and I just gave her the paper work to take in.

Good luck finding one!

PM me if you need any help :)

Chipon is offline Registered User
    Hi TNJ, thanks for the info. We went to an agency here near our place to get some idea of how the process and cost for getting a helper is. For local hire, it cost around 6000hkd for agent fee and visa, which we thought is a bit expensive. We are also planning to put an ad at geoexpat classified, for helper who is finishing their contract and need new employer. If we get somebody from here, what do we need to do next in terms of visa, contract papers, and insurance? Do we need to go to an agency to process the paperworks or can we do it ourselves? Any recommendation for the helper insurance?
    Thanks.

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    Hi Chipon,

$6000 is far too much in my eyes!!! I would put up some advertisements and also look on kijiji.com.hk they have a lot of helpers that advertise themselves.

You need to make sure they have been released from their former employer then you can ask her to go to the immigration department herself and collect a contract, if not you can take her to immigration yourself and ask any questions you have. The only difference between doing it yourself and an agency is they will go to immigration for you. It's so easy, you just need your passport, HKID, 3 months proof of income and proof of address. The forms are quite simple and most helpers know what they need in terms of paper work from you anyway.

As for my helpers insurance I can't remember which one she has but it was no more than $500.

Do any of your friends have good helpers? You could ask them to see if they know any other girls looking for work?

rani is offline Administrator
    $6000 is way too much!

We found our helper through Geoexpat.Com. We placed an ad and got numerous calls. You can also browse through the ads.

For a finished contract helper, then the cost is fairly minimal $500 visa/consulate fee and OFW. Plus the insurance which is $600/yr. You don't need to use an agency for finished contracts and the helper should be able to manage the paperwork herself.

Our helper terminated her contract 2 months early, and hence the cost was a bit more as we had to use an agency.
    Willsmama likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

AnnaMom is offline Registered User
    One question on the Finished Contract helper cases.

Once I have found the right candidate and e.g. her contract finishes on Jul 25, Can I start the process of filling up the contract etc right away ? Post Jul 25, will she be in Hongkong or go back to their country to wait for the visa stamp ?

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes, if you find a helper who's finished contract you can apply right away. The helper will know what to do. Contracts go to the consulate first. She can also go to immigration and let them know she has found an employer and have heard they may grant her a visa extension.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12