Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Gataloca
  • 1 Post By carolinelllhk
  • 1 Post By charade
  • 1 Post By OldtimerMum
  • 3 Post By OldtimerMum

difficult to buy baby formula in Hong Kong?

Jennifer_HK is offline Registered User

difficult to buy baby formula in Hong Kong?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to look into the availability of baby formula in the stores for parents currently residing in Hong Kong. I heard that it is difficult to get the baby formula here ever since many Mainland parents began to also purchase from Hong Kong.

I want to put together a study to show the ways in which the Hong Kong government can make access to baby formula for parents living in Hong Kong easier. To do that, I am trying to survey as many HK parents as possible (inclusive of expats, etc.)

I would like to ask if I may get such information from here? If that is not allowed, please let me know and I will not post it. (I don't want to do anything unwelcome or against policy!)

Shyly awaiting your permissions...

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I've never bought baby formula, but this topic is always been discussed at Hong Kong Expats - Hong Kong Apartments, Expat Classifieds, Forums, Serviced Apartments in Hong Kong :: Hong Kong GeoExpat . You might do a search there.
    Jennifer_HK likes this.

carolinelllhk is offline Registered User
    You can't walk down a street in Hong Kong without finding a store that sells baby formula! It is not hard to get at all.

It is strange that the supposed 'shortages' have happened at the same time that the Hong Kong government is working on the Hong Kong Code (based on the WHO Code on the Marketing of Breast milk Substitutes). Your 'survey' wouldn't be related to that by any chance?
    Jennifer_HK likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    I think it depends where you live to some extent and also which formula. Some brands are more popular than others.

We did experience that department stores in Hong Kong are permitted to sell just two cans per buyer, which can be annoying if you know your baby is going to consume more. My husband has ordered formula from a website online and we were able to get as many as we liked.
    Jennifer_HK likes this.

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    Rather then survey people randomly, can you walk around two or three areas in Hong Kong / Kowloon and New Territories and see if you can buy the brand you like?

Plenty of formula available where we live on the south side. The local shops seem to be overflowing.
    Jennifer_HK likes this.

Thank you for all your responses.

CarolinelllHK: no, I am not with the government but am a law student trying to put together an anonymous survey to forward to LegCo.
    I'm planning to welcome my first child not too far off, and since my husband and I plan on living here for at least 5 more years, I wanted to make sure when my baby needs it, the gov law will make it easy for me to get the powdered milk. :)

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    The government has started promoting breastfeeding. Their PR machine is very active on this front. They're not likely to back track and create laws specific to powdered milk.

See this link ... news.gov.hk - Categories - Health & Community - Love grows from breastfeeding
    miran, Jennifer_HK and genkimom like this.

OldtimerMum: wow, that is new information. Much appreciated. :)

If anyone doesn't mind checking off some questions, I've put together a small survey divided into Part 1 and Part 2 to really feel the pulse on this social issue. It is part of my school project, but I chose this topic because it affects me personally very strongly. I hope it doesn't bore anyone, but it could be interesting too.

Part 1: Do you find it difficult to purchase baby formula in Hong Kong? (Part 1) Survey
    Part 2: Do you find it difficult to purchase baby formula in Hong Kong? (Part 2) Survey