Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Advice to get a pram or not?

Candice_reid is offline Registered User

Advice to get a pram or not?

Hello mums . I am a first time mum to e and living in Hong Kong with a four floor walk up. I will be using baby bjorn when the baby arrives to get out and about.

I just wondered if it was worth having a pram or just waiting for this until the baby gets to too big/heavy to carry??

Thanks I look forward to hearing your feedback !

Candice

Chipon is offline Registered User
    I think a pram is always useful to have. And since you are planning to have one anyway later, why not now. We have a combi pram, which is quite light and very easy to fold with just 1 hand. On top of that we have a boba baby carrier and a boba wrap. Our son is 10 weeks old now and we have been mostly using the pram compare to the carrier and the wrap. Mainly because it gets too hot now to carry our son in the baby carrier or the wrap. And with a pram, it is much easier and more comfortable for him to sleep when we are out in the city. With a carrier you will always have to have your baby on your chest, even when you are sitting in a restaurant to eat. If you will be mostly going out with someone else, your husband maybe, then a pram will not be a problem at all, even when you live in a 4 storeys building without lift. I normally will carry my son while my husband carrying the pram down the stairs. However i have to remind you that hongkong is not very pram friendly. You will be faced with stairs and steps everywhere, without ramp or lift access. In this case, carrier will be much more convinient. I use the carrier when i am just going to the supermarket to get grocerry. It tooks only half an hour until i am back home again, but with sweat running down my chest.

rani is offline Administrator
    I agree with Chipon. It is nice to have a stroller too.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks chipon. The joys and struggles to come :)) il will look into a few of the things you've mentioned. Thank you. I feel so clueless and there's so much to know :)

justarlene is offline Registered User
    Hi Candice_reid, I was pondering on the same question
    I think I will try out with carrier first. I don't want to get sweaty coz of carrying the pram instead of baby. Good luck to both of us LOL

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    With the baby on your chest you'll get pretty hot here.

A stroller is great because there are times you want the baby to just fall asleep so you can eat your meal using two hands. We brought over our "urban assault vehicle" stroller that could run over potholes, curbs, and Communist tanks without much of an effort, but it was far too big to be manageable in taxis and on the subway. We eventually bought an McLaren collapsable which has served us well for a couple of years. It folds up easily and you can carry it on your back if needed, but generally we pop it open and use it to carry all the other baby accouterments such as extra diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. That backpack sometimes weighs more than the kids.

Thank you penguin. That's most helpful and made me chuckle . Tanks ha!
    Yes I can imagine too hot. I am not due til November so a cool few months so the main thing was deciding to wait or not but I guess with the point you and others have made about eating etc its worth just getting one from the start.

So much to carry hey before you even set out the house. I can see there being some testing times ahead :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast