Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Half-half Route

jcg
    jcg is offline Registered User
    Hi all- I'm in the same boat- I'm 6 weeks and clueless! We are thinking of doing the half half route. I think I am in area for the Queen Elizabeth. I have a referral letter but do I need to make a booking to register at the hospital? and then should I just make bookings to see the ob for 12 and 20 week scans?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcg View Post
    Hi all- I'm in the same boat- I'm 6 weeks and clueless! We are thinking of doing the half half route. I think I am in area for the Queen Elizabeth. I have a referral letter but do I need to make a booking to register at the hospital? and then should I just make bookings to see the ob for 12 and 20 week scans?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Congratulations JCG! Have a read through this article. Should answer most of your questions

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    I use dr. Lam from the prenatal diagnostic center located in central (queens road) and I like him a lot. My husband that came with me to my appt also approves.

I like that he is patient and explains things very well. We told him we want to go private all the way and he gave us a listing of services the public hospitals does for free just in case.

Very nice facilities and friendly staff as well.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Hi jcg, I am going public but have also had the odd private app. I think the public system can be a little scary at first, especially if its your first baby like me. For me it took a little while to get used to the blunt instructions given - sit here, wait there, go here etc - without much actual info given to you as to why or for what, so I got a lot of my info from here or babycentre.com or nhs etc online. Plus every test they do in the public system, they operate a no news is good news policy so you don't really see results unless you have an issue. As a result of that I always felt in the dark. I went to see a private doctor for an 8 week scan, really just because I was dying to see the little fella was really there, then again for 12 week scan and downs test (looking back though I could have done this publicly), I did that private mainly because I was going away at the time the public hospital were going to book it for and the window for doing it is small. I also visited a private doc for the 20 week scan because I'd read that the public docs wouldn't say much nor do they really show you the screen unless you request. However my doctor at the queen mary who gave me the scan at 21 weeks was great, he talked all the way through. For me I wanted to see a private doctor for those big milestones so I could get more information and my husband also could get the peace of mind. However without insurance the cost can mount so I've not had any more private apps since then. Since 20 weeks I have relied on the public system, which I am now used to, as its mostly just routine tests for monitoring you (checking urine, blood pressure, measuring size and weight). I can't see the point in paying for those to be done outside of the public system personally.

jcg
    jcg is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your reply, I think I will also do the same thing and get a private scan at 8 weeks. I think I'm in area for Queen Elizabeth. Do you know if I just call up the obstetrics unit to get an appointment to register or do I just turn up? Thanks so much for your help Dillon and Rani
    rani likes this.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    I first had to get a letter from a gp to say I was pregnant, this involved me going to the gp nad doing a urine test for around 150 hkd. then with this letter they gave me the number for the Tsan yuk, which is in Sai ying pun, my local clinic/hospital for antenatal checkups. I called them and they asked due date and they booked me in for the first appointment at around 12 weeks. They won't see you before that there. They also give you a list of things to bring with you for your first app. With the public system you cant get appointments on request so if you want to go have a scan outside of the 12 week and 20 week you will have to go privately.

jollygood is offline Registered User
    Hi. I'm registered at QEH and think the same as Dillon.

Take your referral letter and go to QEH, the 4th floor or the first building (admin?). Then just do whatever they say! I didn't manage to get a 20wk scan with them (they ran out because I signed up too late, apparently). I have to go private for it. I didn't like the 12wk scan because the sonographer wasn't personable and did as little as poss. I've managed to get a recommendation for OB in Kowloon (at a reasonable price).

Just let me know if you want any more info. Happy to share.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12