Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goat milk or soy milk

Butterscotch is offline Registered User

Goat milk or soy milk

My bub cannot take formula due to his allergy, I know BF will b good for him, but he is getting much older and I want to start to wean him off breastmilk.

We have tried giving him hypoallergenic formula quite a few times but he refuses to take it.

Now looking at goat milk or soy milk as alternative.

Has anyone tried it before? And what brand?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My daughter has a dairy allergy and is also allergic to goat's milk. She is fine with soy milk. The best thing to do is to get a sample and try in advance - either that or do allergy testing - because you don't want to waste money on formula he can't take. I know my GP/pediatrician had samples of Nursoy that we tried before we bought it. That's what we ended up giving her as it was available at Wellcome so was more convenient than trotting into 360/Citysuper/bumps2babes etc...

...sorry wanted to add, sometimes dairy allergy and soy allergy go together. Other times, dairy and goats milk allergies go together. That's why it's best to try first... If goat and soy BOTH don't work, then you might HAVE to use hypoallergenic, or breastfeed until 12 months old and then use something else instead...

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    Our son developed rashes with Soy Milk. Had to switch him to rice milk after a few weeks of trial and error.

Butterscotch is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies
    I also want to ask if you know soy milk formula supposed to have better nutrients than fresh soy milk? (my bub is already 18m so he should b able to take either if he is not allergic to soy)

rani is offline Administrator
    We found that our guy would get really phlegmy with Soya formula and would cough throughout the night. Ask your Dr if he has any samples, and try a few to see which one better suits bub
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

If he is 18 months and a good eater, I wouldn't bother. A lot of people here in HK like to have their kids on formula until they are even 4!! I'm from Australia and typically we wean closer to 12-18 months. My daughter was only on soy formula between 12-15 months old when I stopped breastfeeding but her eating wasn't fantastic yet. Once she could eat a balanced diet, there was no need for formula. Bottles also are bad for their teeth so best to wean from the bottle by around 2 anyway. Now, my daughter is turning 3 - she still has a dairy allergy so I avoid dairy completely. She does continue to have soy yoghurt daily, but is great with eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, rice/pasta/bread etc... Ultimately, they need to transition to an adult diet and they will get all the necessary nutrition from that.

wudai is offline Registered User
    My son is also allergic to cow's milk. He's been on Nutramigen after I stopped breastfeeding but lately he has a tendency to refuse milk. I put him on Nursoy and he has had no allergic reaction. He turns one this weekend and I'm thinking of giving him soy yoghurt. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase it? For soy milk does it matter which brand toddlers drink?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast