Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Sanatorium or Matilda?

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Hello all. I am due in July 2014 and now looking at which hospital to book. Our dr said we shouldnt need to make a decision on booking until my 4th month. I have read through a few posts on the forum as to the pro's and con's of Matilda, Adventist, Sanatorium and Canossa, but couldnt see any recent posts/feedback. I am planning to have a natural delivery, and live on the Kowloon side (but my preference is to come across to the HK side and my OBGYN is based in central). Assuming cost is not an issue, which hospital would you recommend for a first time mum? Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

capricious is offline Registered User
    Hi Pandy
    I went through the same when I was pregnant and decided to go with Sanatorium in the end. I had a natural delivery at sanatorium at the end of Oct this year. I viewed the rooms at HKSH, Matilda and Adventist before deciding on Sanatorium and I think you may wish to consider visiting the maternity wards before you decide.

My hub and I were very happy with the decision. The midwives and nurses at sanatorium were awesome! So much so that I wrote a complimentary letter to the hospital management expressing my gratitude. It was my first delivery and i was clueless. This midwife I had was amazing, she guided me through the entire labour process. The nurses at the ward were also very helpful knowing that I wanted to breastfeed my baby, and even helped to check that my baby was latching on correctly the first couple of feeds. Good luck and lemme know if you need more info!

Hi Capricious. Many thanks for replying to my post. Im also having my first baby and feeling clueless although I have been trawling though as much information as I can!

We plan on visiting the hospitals as you recommend. What made you choose Sanatorium over the other options?

Also you mention that you had a midwife guide you through the birthing process. Is the midwife included in the fee at Sanatorium, and do you get to meet the midwife beforehand? Finally, did you have any antenatal classes? Strangely my OBGYN told me that I didnt really need to attend such classes, as long as I watched his VCD tutorial!

Thanks in advance for your reply!

capricious is offline Registered User
    Hi Pandy, no worries. More than happy to share my experience.

I compared notes from friends who delivered at the various hospitals before making my decision. I also felt most comfy with the environment and room deco at sanatorium. You can also consider checking with your obstetrician which hospital he prefers or is more convenient for him (in case of emergency).
    There were 2 midwives assigned to me when I was admitted, one of whom was just amazing. I did not get to meet her beforehand. It's included in the package fee.
    Ironically, i attended Matilda's antenatal class at their central medical centre. I find the session on lactation most useful. The rest......sort of left my brain when the pain hits me and I was just listening to my midwife's instructions. I found the course useful coz it's my first and it sort of did prepare me for what to expect. Sanatorium's course was held only in Cantonese which was why I went for Matilda's. I'm not sure what your ob's vcd contains but you can compare the course outline on Matilda's website (or other providers) before deciding? We spent some time during the antenatal class watching video clips too.

sundayz0 is offline Registered User
    Hi Pandy,

You might want to confirm with your first choice hospital regarding availability for your due date. For the Sanatorium, their policy is you are required to put down your deposit starting at 12 weeks and have just a couple weeks to do so. My OB (Grace Cheung) also submitted my application at my first appointment (at 7 weeks) and was saying how fortunate I was to get a spot, though I have no idea how hard it is to get a spot at some of the private hospitals these days.

Good luck!
    usernamekhoo likes this.

Hi Sundayz

I will be at 12 weeks in the second week of January which is when I have my next OB visit. The good Dr didnt seem to think there was much need to rush and book a bed until my next visit. I was edging to book at Matilda, but think I will now go with Sanatorium. The Adventist some reason is more expensive than both, but I didnt understand why?

Udo_WTS is offline Registered User
    Our son (first child) was born naturally at the Hong Kong Sanatorium last Sunday.
    He came a bit earlier than expected, so there was not time to make much preparations, but from the first phone call at 05.00 a.m. in the morning, all medical staff was extremely helpful and professional.
    Medical care was outstanding and we were fortunate to have an uncomplicated and rather smooth delivery with excellent care, support and encouragement.
    After delivery, we stayed in a semi private room (shared bathroom), which was totally fine.
    Baby could stay with us in the room and wish for breastfeeding was encouraged, however I would have wished for a little bit more advise on how to breastfeed (positions etc.), but all works fine now.
    Good luck!

tibbar2011 is offline Registered User
    hi all, I compared the package price of Sanatorium, Adventist, Matilda and Canossa. To my surprise, Sanatorium's price is the cheapest among the four. Being the skeptical me I wonder if they quote the package price low but then add on a lot of other miscel expenses? Are the packages across hospitals "apples for apples"?

and how's the condition of the semi private at Sanatorium? it seems you do get your own room (i.e. no need to share room with someone else) though u need to share bathroom - is that a big hassle?

thanks all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast