Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Super clingy phase?

karhu is offline Registered User

Super clingy phase?

Hi there

My 13 month old has been super clingy lately, even since I got back from my overseas trip (4 days) and getting worse! First I thought she just missed me but now it's worse!

She would be playing happily at night and when daddy takes her to have a bath (and worse if taken from my arms) she would cry hysterically saying mommy mommy mommy - same at night before bed - daddy has been taking her around the flat to say goodnight to things before bed but now the second he takes her from me or if I leave her bedroom to get things ready for bed she cries hysterically saying mommy mommy until I return then stops right away!

She is good friends with daddy - daddy's feelings are hurt and I can't really get things done or take a break to go shower while daddy puts her to bed....

Normal? Any suggestions to ease the situation? Thanks!!!!

K

iheartvancouver is offline Registered User
    Hi Karhu,
    I am familiar with this situation as it seems just yesterday that this was our day to day experience. My son is now 17 months and this is no longer an issue. His clingy phase started maybe around 9 months and went away gradually, i don't remember it being an issue in the last month. Same as you, he would not let me take a shower without banging on the bathroom door crying hysterically, while my heart was breaking in the shower. Same as you, my husband's ego was visibly shaken at not being able to console our child. Unfortunately, I can't say if this is normal or not, but the same thing happened to me. Even sneaking out of the room while he was happily playing would not work since he would hear the shower start up and come running. It eventually got so bad that no-one, not even guests, could close the bathroom door without him crying and banging on the door. Thankfully, this is a distant memory. It seemed to just go away on his own. We got a helper when he was about 13 months old and the extra attention seemed to help, but I can't say for sure. Also, letting him into the bathroom seemed to help, with my husband holding him up where he could see me and playing peekaboo through the shower curtain (although this is labor intensive, and denies you of any privacy).
    Hopefully this is temporary for you too! Best of luck.

I guess with babies, everything is a phase! I hope it gets better soon! Daddy is still putting her to sleep not deterred by her crazy crying, thats a good thing :)

Thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    Hang in there. It is a phase and she will grow out of it soon.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

shri is offline Administrator
    >> Daddy is still putting her to sleep not deterred by her crazy crying, thats a good thing :)

That is something that I was not able to do. Definitely a good thing!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Likely to be a phase as others have said - just grin and bear it. My daughter went through a couple of these and it's not pleasant for the mother or father but it seems to be a natural part of growing up.

Thanks guys for sharing and for your advice ☺