Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Depressed about move to HK with toddler - please help!

luluboy is offline Registered User

Depressed about move to HK with toddler - please help!

My husband has been promoted to a job in Asia and we are relocating from Australia in 2 months. As time moves on and it becomes more real I am beginning to panic and don't want to go! I am so worried about the culture shock and all the differences between raising my baby in Sydney CBD compared to HK - by the way, I have never been to HK!

I need some real advice about whether I should suck it up or whether this is not the move for me...I am sick with panic everytime I look at places to live and he is really excited. Is this the way every woman mum moving to HK feels?

Please help...

Honeybelle is offline Registered User
    Hi Luluboy,
    Moving country is always a big thing but don't worry lots of people have done it before you. There are only a few hours in time difference between HK & Oz so you will be able to Skype home easily. Yes, Hong Kong has lots of negatives but there is also a great expat community here too and you will enjoy yourself.

Honeybelle is offline Registered User
    Do you know where you will be living?
    I am also an expat & live in the new territories with my husband & baby, I have a fantastic life here. I meet lots of other mummies & babies and am always busy. I have lots of friends within walking distance, my apartment complex has a pool, gym, baby room etc. There are lots of things to do & even if its not all good, you will learn to appreciate your own country in an entirely new way. Also thats why most people call themselves 'expats' as it means you will return to your own country one day. HK is really great place to have babies & small children.
    Settling in can be overwhelming and exhausting, but you will do it and I don't mean to spoil the ending but everything is going to be fine : )
    If you have any questions I am happy to chat to you online : )
    TNT likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    It is perfectly natural to be worried, especially if you have never been here. Is there anything specific that you're particularly concerned about?
    carang likes this.

AileenLi is offline Registered User
    Hi luluboy,
    I went through the same thing.. it is hard to leave family and friends behind and HK is quite far and different from being in Australia.
    Rest assured that next to Australia, I think HK is a great place to live.
    Yes there are pros and cons, but don't stress, think of it as a long term holiday. I'm sure you can go back to Australia later (which is my plan).
    Feel free to message if you have any concerns!
    I also did not feel like moving particularly with a young child I just wanted to stay in one place!
    carang likes this.

luluboy is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much!
    I think I am most upset about being unsettled and finding my way in a new country. My life is not thrilling in Oz, but I know it and my daughter is very happy in her well planned life! We have lots of big decisions to make in such a short time and I am worried. I guess I just need to hear that I will find my place and it will work out...how do people find their homes. It's daunting that you get locked in for such a long time. Also, does it take a long time to commute from new territories to Causeway Bay. Thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    Living in Hk is a Great opportunity and many Expats who plan to stay only for a short period End up loving it and making Hk home. Friendships are easy to form as everyone can relate to being the new family in town.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using GeoClicks mobile app
    carang likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    Is there any chance that you can visit for a few days?

Just to give you some reassurance - the australian community in Hong Kong is quite friendly and supportive - http://www.ozhongkong.com/

Culture shock is not something you need to worry about.

By the way, will you be getting some help from your company for education? Depending on how old your daughter is, you will want to spend some time figuring out what options are open to you for kindie / primary school etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast