Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Classes

Loveisgood is offline Registered User

Classes

Hello all,
    Did you join any classes for preparation of giving birth and mums-to-be? If so where did you take these classes? Currently 20 weeks and is our first baby so any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User
    I go to Babies and Beyond at Annerley. This class is for women who plan to have a natural birth but does cover all other options. I find it very helpful and well balanced. Feel less scared and more confident now that I attended it...guess it is important as this is my first as well, I don't really want to be pushed by the OB or the hospital into some unnecessary medical intervention.
    I think some hospitals also provide classes - if the hospital that you booked has one of them, it might be worth checking out as well.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    I did the Hypnobirthing classes at the Annerly, I can highly recommend it. Hopefully its going to see me through......

I am going public for the birth but haven't been to their classes.. so can't review I'm afraid.

Thank you so much ladies!

How far along did you guys join classes? May i ask why you chose Annerley over others? What does Hypnobirthing classes involve? Sorry for all the questions, there's so many options!

I was thinking to attend classes at Sanatorium or Matilda, has anyone heard or been to those classes? Any advice would be appreciated.

EYM
    EYM is offline Registered User
    I started my class at week 30 and it is a four weeks course. The other expecting moms in my group vary between week 28 and week 32 when we started I think. Timing is entirely up to you, for me, I don't want to do it too early so I might forget everything when the D day gets closer, and not too late in case I feel too tired to move around.
    I am going private and want a natural birth if the medical conditions allow, so I chose Annerley's Babies and Beyond because the course is for moms who want a natural birth but open to other options when it comes to that. The course is really empowering and I feel more confident now - especially I don't think I will be easily pushed by the private OB or hospital midwives into some situations that are unnecessary or undesireable. Annerley also offer a wide range of other services, like postnatal midwife visits, helper classes, so it has been a good one-stop shop for me, and it is so close to my office in Central to pop in and out for the classes.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    I choose to start the hypnobirthing early, around 23 weeks in because I thought I'd need a lot of practice at it and also i was a little sceptical so gave time to think after I'd done it. It's a 4 week course with 2 extra sessions, one on breastfeeding and one private session which you can book later on if you choose. If also scheduled my breast feeding session much later so I don't forget. I'd agree with loveisgood that it gives you a lot of confidence and support about how to deal with your birth and not get pushed around! People in the group were ranging from 5 months to 8 months pregnant so totally up to you. I chose to go to the Annerly because I couldn't see anywhere else offering hypnobirthing and going public I didn't even think to attend classes at Matilda or Sanotorium.

You can always call all of them and get a full run down and advice. When I called the Annerly they were so lovely, helpful and reassuring.

My personal feeling about the Hypnobirthing class is that its enough for me now to feel ready to give birth naturally. Its not a bunch of hippy mumbo jumbo haha. A lot is based on science and breathing technique and confidence. Its great for making the hubby feel really involved too as a big part of it is that he is also part of the process. My husband loved it. They teach you birthing positions and breast feeding as well as how to relax and breath and what not to force your body to do. Plus the hypnobirthing cd's really help you sleep ;)

Thank you very much ladies, going to enroll into one of these classes this week!

Has anyone tried the classes at HK Sanatorium??

ngnhk is offline Registered User
    I just finished my class at Matilda last week and was happy with it. I took the express course, which started when I was 29 weeks and finished at 31 weeks. It was very informative, especially for my husband. Covered all of the basic topics like stages of labor, when to go to hospital, pain relief methods, what would happen in the event of a c-section, breastfeeding, and newborn care. The midwife wasn't at all biased about vaginal birth vs. c-section - I didn't get the impression that, as a private hospital, they would push you into a c-section, if that's a concern for you.

Are you giving birth at Sanatorium? If you are, you may as well just take the course they offer - it will give you a sense of what being at the hospital is like and what kind of options the hospital has available for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast