Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Traditional Cantonese Nursery Rhymes

writergal28 is offline Registered User

Traditional Cantonese Nursery Rhymes

I'm of Chinese descent and am looking for traditional Cantonese nursery rhymes as I'd love to pass them on to my future children (my DH and I are going to start a family in the next couple of years). I speak fluent Cantonese, but cannot read Chinese at all, so getting hold of books, unless bilingual and with phonetic pronunciation would not work for us. Right now, I can only recall three (Deem Chung Chung (Point, Point Bug); Dum Dum Jeun (Turn Around - the one about not wanting to watch dragon boats to raise chickens instead) and Siu Ming (clapping game)). These are also ones that my parents have suggested. It would be great if anyone knows of CDs, downloads, videos, etc.

Thanks!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    you can search for the song on youtube. One song might link you to some other similar songs

Here are some cantonese kid songs:

?? - ??? (??) - YouTube

????????? - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    you can search for the song on youtube. One song might link you to some other similar songs

Here are some cantonese kid songs:

?? - ??? (??) - YouTube

????????? - YouTube
    Thanks, but the trouble is, I can't read/write Chinese! How do you search without knowing how to read/write the language?

Can you recognize some of the characters at least? if so, you can just do copy paste to search for your songs. Otherwise, just try playing some of the linked related videos (listed on the right side) of youtube... you might find something that you like.

But I probably have your same problem... I would like to play cantonese programs to my kid, so he would learn more cantonese, but there is really nothing (good) out there.... I could find many many good english videos for kids, but nothing in cantonese....... it is really unbelivable

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User
    A lot of the English children's cartoons & Disney movies come in Cantonese versions as well. They are not difficult to find at the DVD stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs View Post
    A lot of the English children's cartoons & Disney movies come in Cantonese versions as well. They are not difficult to find at the DVD stores.
    As you said, those are easy to find, so I'm not looking for them. I'm looking for traditional Cantonese nursery rhymes - especially ones that aren't a take on English ones (i.e. "1-2-3-3-2-1", which sounds like This Old Man or "A Bird Fell in the Water" (London Bridge))

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    commercial press might have some...you will have to ask them if it is Cantonese or Mandarin though...since they probably only state "Chinese" which could be either...also could try Sam Lun publishing...both are more local book stores and you could find some.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs View Post
    In my case, I am more interested in educational programs, something similar to Barney, Noddy, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Thomas, etc.. but in Cantonese, where kids can build up their vocabulary and learn from different situations that they characters might encounter. Not quite interested in cartoons like Sleepy Beauty or Pokemon......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast