Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By carang
  • 1 Post By Liquorice
  • 1 Post By Liquorice

best private doctor/hospital for twin delivery in HK

firsttime_mommy is offline Registered User

best private doctor/hospital for twin delivery in HK

Hi, I am 10 weeks pregnant with twins, and will have to make a decision soon about whether I need to book private or go public. I am currently going to the women's clinic , but I am curious as to which private doctors/hospitals would be the best for twin delivery. These are my first and given that i have been spotting on and off for 5 weeks I think may be a complicated pregrancy.

I was keen on Matilda but my current doctors suggest sanatorium. Any view on Matilda v/s Sanatorium for twin delivery. Also, if someone can shed info on doctors rates for twin delivery would be appreciated- I know hospitals charge 40-50% extra.

Thanks for your help

carang is offline Registered User

if anything seriously goes wrong (and you're spotting already), the matilda will send you to Queen Mary Hospital anyway. they are unable to handle serious emergencies.

you might want to say your $150,000 and use the public system from the get go...it will cost about $500 all in.

Aquarian likes this.

twontheway is offline Registered User

I'm also a first time mum expecting twins (27 weeks in) and decided to go public.

So far the public hospital has been great, monthly scans and prenatal vitamins supplied all free. The doctors speak very good English so no problems there, and if there are any complications during the delivery they have all the equipment and experience to deal with it. The only downside is waiting, as you would for anything in a public hospital. But for me this is nothing compared to the fees and the peace of mind knowing that I'm in the right hands.

I also see a private doctor for any additional questions and info but so far I've luckily had no problems during this pregnancy.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Any doctor will recommend you to register in a public hospital as most private hospitals won't take babies born before 34-35 weeks, which is more likely with twins (average is about 35-36 weeks), so you may not have a choice to go private. Bleeding doesn't make your pregnancy complicated (yet), bleeding during the first trimester is quite common and not necessarily bad news or complications.

I would definitely register public as well regardless of your private choice. If your twins need help, they will go to a public hospital anyway. Having said that, twin pregnancies are not per se high risk. My twins were induced at 38w2d, were born close to 8lbs a piece, came home in less than 48 hours, and my pregnancy was very uneventful apart from severe swelling at theend (due to their weights).

I'd also like to suggest to join Mothers of Multiples in Hong Kong, a great support group.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I think the public vs private rating really depends on which hospital and which particular team you have. I gave birth to my first child in the public system (Prince of Wales) and had a really bad experience. At the time we didn't have insurance but we decided we would pay for private next time out of our own pocket rather than go through the public system again. People have different experiences though, and I know that some have had positive experiences, but I didn't.

The biggest issue for me at the Prince of Wales was communication and bedside manner. Bad enough when you are just having one baby but if you are having twins, generally a higher risk pregnancy so you may have more concerns, then you want to have much better communication, support, and consistent contact with one medical team (in my opinion). Particularly if it is your first pregnancy.

I had my twins at the Sanitorium, with Dr Doo at the Women's Clinic and it was great. Such a totally, totally different experience from my first pregnancy and delivery.

As others have mentioned though, you'll need to register with a public hospital too as if you go into labour too early then you need their NICU units and the private hospitals won't take you.

Good luck with it all! Exciting times.

firsttime_mommy likes this.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Oh, by the way, I was on bed rest for 2 weeks because of quite heavy bleeding around week 7/8 but my pregnancy aside from that was absolutely fine and I delivered healthy twins at a scheduled c-section at 37 weeks, so don't worry too much about spotting in the early days.

rani likes this.

firsttime_mommy is offline Registered User

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful!!