Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would I be denied medical service if not in proper catchment area?

ngnhk is offline Registered User

Would I be denied medical service if not in proper catchment area?

I'm 26 weeks pregnant, and my OB (based on HK island) told me that if anything were to happen (preterm labor, suspected preeclampsia, etc.) between now and 33 weeks, I should go straight to Queen Mary. After 33 weeks, I can go to the private hospital I'm booked into.

But we live in Olympic Station (which my OB knows), so would Queen Mary turn me away if I showed up at the A&E department in case of something bad happening?

For anybody who lives in Olympic Station, is it better to go to Queen Elizabeth or Kwong Wah hospital, since those are technically closest in terms of catchment area? I'm just so afraid of being kicked out of the A&E in an already stressful situation.

Is it possible that certain OBs have arrangements in place with certain public hospitals and that's why he told me to go to QMH?

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Any a&e would take you but QM has the best neonatal unit in hk, that's why she recommended it. Doctors don't have links with public hospitals.

Sweetblueberry is offline Registered User
    you can call to verify with Queen Mary if they are in your catchment area. It also makes life a lot easier if you have had a checkup with the public hospital of your choice first before delivery - this way they will have all your records on file already - should you need to deliver there.

private drs. may have worked / trained at a HK public hospital before but if they are currently in a private practice, they can no longer deliver at public facilities. Agree with Aquarian that QM as the best equipment. if there are any complications with birth at a private hospital, the mom and/or baby will be sent to QM.

Well, but the issue is I'm not in their catchment area - how can I be, on the Kowloon side? So it wouldn't be possible to book an appointment with them anyway, since they only see pregnant women within their catchment area.

I am guessing I would not be able to go straight to L&D in case of an emergency (since not registered with them and not in catchment area), so would have to go through A&E. But I suppose that is what people do in an unexpected emergency anyway, so it would be OK.

do you have anyone in the HK side where you can temporarily borrow their address?

Is that something people normally do? What do people usually do if they are booked into a private hospital and just trying to plan for something unexpected? (Which means possibly having to use the public hospital facilities.)

in any case, i was making a general statement that it's easier to have your records already with a public hospital if you think you may have a possibility of delivering there... be it QM, KW, QE, etc.

re: using the temporary address... i'm not sure if it is the norm... but I have met other mums to be that reside in the kowloon side (even lantau) who take their appts @ QM, I'm guessing they found a work around by using a relatives address or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast