Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1st trimester downs screening in public system

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveisgood View Post
    Hi Minaling, I am very curious of which private doctor said they don't do blood tests or screenings..sounds odd
    It's not odd. To do it accurately a dr needs to be trained in nt scan measurements. Many in hk aren't qualified but still offer the service anyway - risking giving inaccurate information to parents. It's good to hear some drs are honest and don't offer it.

Potoi is offline Registered User
    Hi, this is my first and its in the 7th week. Did my first scan just before 6th week and I have my appointment with Tsan Yuk Hospital on the 12th week. May I know do I need to do any check or scan before that? or it is ok to wait till the 12th week? I was not prescribe for any vit by the first obgyn is that normal? Now I am taking folic acid and normal multivit will that be enough?

Thank you in advance

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    @ Loveisgood

My first visit with her, I was there for about an hour, mainly because I was waiting for them to sort out my insurance information. My visit itself with the doctor lasted 5-10 mins.

I called the receptionist after my appt and asked to confirm if my second prenatal visit (my 12th week) would include blood work and screenings, and the receptionist said no. She confirmed that I was scheduled for a routine ultrasound - and thats it. I asked if its routine to have screenings and she said no. She said I have to specifically ask for it so I did. She then tells me that the doctor will do the ultrasound part, but I will have to go someplace else for the blood work. My conversation was solely with the receptionist, so maybe there was miscommunication. So I will go there on my next appt and see what happens.

Will keep you posted and if in fact they don't do screenings/blood-work, I will send you a personal note with her name (if its doable and as soon as I figure out how =)). I prefer not giving someone a bad reputation online.

@Sweetblueberry - Thanks for the info.

@Potoi - we are on the same boat. Tomorrow will be week 8 for me. Since I am near Tsan Yuk Hospital, I may just make an appt there for the screenings.

My doctor confirmed my prenatals had folic acid and said nothing else about what other vitamins I needed. I was also told to take omega 3 from a friend (she's a pharmacist and pregnant) - she said its important for brain development.

babymama2016 is offline Registered User
    A Little late to add to the post, however.
    With the downs screening, I currently had my first scanning at 9 weeks, unfortunately I didn't have a great experience with my private obstetrics. Despite paying 1,030 HKD for 10 minutes appointment and left without a print out of my first scan.

They did ask if I wanted to pay for a down screening which would cost me 6,000+1,000 HKD Consultation. at 12 weeks.

And she was very frank with me that should any thing go wrong it will be before 12 weeks that is why I should go at around 12 weeks.

I have heard a lot of great reviews with Queen Mary Hospital Maternity Unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12