Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How frequent is necessary for checks and scan?

Potoi is offline Registered User

How frequent is necessary for checks and scan?

Hi, this is my first and its in the 7th week. Did my first scan just before 6th week and I have my appointment with Tsan Yuk Hospital on the 12th week. May I know do I need to do any check or scan before that? or it is ok to wait till the 12th week? I was not prescribe for any vit by the first obgyn is that normal? Now I am taking folic acid and regular multivit will that be enough?

Thank you in advance

Editor is offline Administrator
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

Take a look at our recent article on antenatal care that was written by the wonderful Annerley team - it's a good guide for first time mums as they take you through all the checks and scans you will need and explain why you need to have them.

Antenatal Care In Hong Kong - Hong Kong Baby & Pregnancy - GeoBaby.Com

Ben's mom is offline Registered User
    When I was 7 weeks with my first, my doc (private, whom I trust completely) only advised folic acid. It was too early to take Materna and he advised me to stop all my multivits because of unnecessary iron content. I took Materna only later on. So my guess is you don't need more.

If not for issues early in my first trimester, I wouldn't have bothered to see a doc before my 2nd trimester. Now tht I am with my second, I didn't see a doc before my 3rd month. It could just be me, but personally my view is, if you aren't bleeding, you are fine.

By the way, at Tsan Yuk, they don't do scans. I saw private and public at the same time and at private clinics you do scans during every visit/month which I thought was a bit excessive (unless you are high risk etc). At Tsan Yuk, they achieve the same result by feeling your tummy and using good old measuring tape!

Hope this helps. Don't worry too much!

Potoi is offline Registered User
    Dear Ben's mom,

Thank you for your advise and the infor about Tsan Yuk hospital, I am now feeling much more relax.

Cheers

Dillon is offline Registered User
    the Tsan Yuk does do scans... but the public system doesn't give you many scans - just the big ones like the 12 week scan, 20 week scan etc. So if you want to see the baby in between those times a lot of people top up with private appointments. My friends with good insurance who see private docs get scans monthly but its not medically necessary at all. Good money for the private docs from the insurance companies ;)

Something that threw me as its also my first time and I'm going public - If you are going through Tsan Yuk they do share your care with the MCHC which is next door and the Queen Mary so you may find your appointments all over the place - its not an issue care wise as even if you keep visiting same hospital you always see different nurses and docs depending who is on shift, but I was confused when they started to send me all over and no-one could ever tell me what the appointments were actually for. Once you get a bit further on you will realise just mostly routine checks. Now I'm used to it - I just go where they say and when :)

cherrypie is offline Registered User
    I have my 12 week ultra sound at Tsan Yuk and that is where they have already booked me in for my 20- 22 week scan also. Ben's mum i think you may have been misinformed.

cherrypie is offline Registered User
    I am also public all the way - and my MCHC is the ap lei chai one which has the same nurses and receptionist and sooo quiet - I actually wish alley appointments were there! Also have to go to the Queen Mary for the glucose test, as my dad is diabetic, really not looking forward to that :( 2 blood tests in 2 hours! :(

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Oh yeah sorry I forgot that Tsan Yuk will give you a choice of which MCHC to attend. I picked the one next door, which does tend to have same nurses on but different docs. I had my 20 week scan at the Queen Mary, and have just had glucose test there too.

Its a boring wait, the 2 hours. Also I was waiting for them to call my name to go back for the second test after the 2 hours but they didn't... so after 2.5 hours I walked back in to the same room to check and they took the second blood. Not sure they were going to call the names, so don't wait like I did, I was soooo hungry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast