Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Downs screening at private OB

realj0y is offline Registered User
    Can u please recommend me ur private doctor? I would have loved to have that experience, my doctor, in and out in 5 min and a snapshot of a 2d scan...

Thanks

I think I'll do a combo
    Of private n public

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    Realjoy,

My first doctor did the same during my 8 week appt (in and out in a matter of minutes and was not informative). Needless to say, I didn't go back to her.

My current doctor's name is dr lam of prenatal diagnostics center. My husband and I like him a lot. But he's also more expensive compared to the first doctor I had. I guess you can inquire about the costs and make a decision then whether or not to use him. Hope it works out and good luck with the pregnancy.

Hong Kong
    central
    Queens Road 5
    Phone number - 2877 3280

Aquarian

Not sure what you mean by scans not proving safe. Scans are done in the states every 4 weeks to monitor development. It's the norm there and I have not heard of any instances where it caused harm to any baby or fetus. If you know of anything, please forward along any articles you may of come across.

Some moms-to-be on this forum believe extra checkups and scans are not necessary (aside from the 12 and the 20) and not worth the cost if there's nothing wrong (which is fine and to each their own) but I absolutely do. Not only do I want to make sure she's developing as she should by way of measurements and doc confirming her organs look good, but I love seeing her moving about in my belly on the big screen in the doctors office. To see my belly do waves on the outside is one thing, to actually seeing my baby girl inside moving my belly outside is something else.

Realjoy

Also please note during the 12 week checkup, they check for Down's syndrome. Not sure if u are going to check for that but if so, the doctor's office is prompt with calling u and giving you the results. I got a phone call the next day by early afternoon time with the good news.
    realj0y likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingaling View Post
    Aquarian

Not sure what you mean by scans not proving safe. Scans are done in the states every 4 weeks to monitor development. It's the norm there and I have not heard of any instances where it caused harm to any baby or fetus. If you know of anything, please forward along any articles you may of come across.

Some moms-to-be on this forum believe extra checkups and scans are not necessary (aside from the 12 and the 20) and not worth the cost if there's nothing wrong (which is fine and to each their own) but I absolutely do. Not only do I want to make sure she's developing as she should by way of measurements and doc confirming her organs look good, but I love seeing her moving about in my belly on the big screen in the doctors office. To see my belly do waves on the outside is one thing, to actually seeing my baby girl inside moving my belly outside is something else.
    As far as i know from American friends of mine, a full ultrasound is *not* carried out every 4 weeks - not least because insurance companies won't pay for them that frequently.

Here are 2 links, one from the US FDA and one from the UK NHS. Parents are warned *not* to get ultrasounds just so they can have a look at the baby.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm095508.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/02Februa...aby-scans.aspx

Aquarian

My insurance now, whether it be in the states or here, covers checkups every 4 weeks (anything more frequent would be out of pocket for me). I have quite a few friends in NY that's pregnant now since we are all at the age and they have their checkups and ultrasounds regularly at every 4 weeks. So did both my sisters and each of them has 2 healthy kids. And yes, insurance covered all of their visits.

I read the FDA article and it refers to hour long "keepsake videos" without medical oversight and over the counter Doppler ultrasounds that's used generally at home. I did not read the other one as it's UK news related. I am sorry but that FDA article speaks nothing of how scans when used properly are harmful.

Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day. Again, I have no judgment for those that go without more regular checkups and go public. I just prefer the other route.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingaling View Post
    Aquarian

My insurance now, whether it be in the states or here, covers checkups every 4 weeks (anything more frequent would be out of pocket for me). I have quite a few friends in NY that's pregnant now since we are all at the age and they have their checkups and ultrasounds regularly at every 4 weeks. So did both my sisters and each of them has 2 healthy kids. And yes, insurance covered all of their visits.

I read the FDA article and it refers to hour long "keepsake videos" without medical oversight and over the counter Doppler ultrasounds that's used generally at home. I did not read the other one as it's UK news related. I am sorry but that FDA article speaks nothing of how scans when used properly are harmful.

Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day. Again, I have no judgment for those that go without more regular checkups and go public. I just prefer the other route.
    I find it odd you would only consider US opinion, but here are more links for you, from america, read them or not as you like. At the end of the day I think all parents should be as informed as they can be about decisions regarding their child and it's a concern that some doctors are encouraging mothers to have frequent unnecessary scans without explaining that it's against official medical advice.

http://www.aium.org/press/viewRelease.aspx?id=66

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/892788

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_ultrasound

Aquarian

I read your three articles...

Aium refers to prenatal portrait keepsakes that can take over an hour to produce which may cause unnecessary exposure usually performed by unskilled personnel.
    Huff post refers to more keepsakes performed by non- medical personnel in boutiques in shopping malls.
    Wiki states "no conclusive evidence for harmful effects of 3D ultrasounds".

Are you seriously sending me these links as supporting evidence of your argument? And I agree, all parents should be informed but of real concerns - and this is by no means a real concern.

I suggest you read these articles and actually digest what it's saying before coming to conclusions that are unfounded.

Do what you think is best for your baby and I will do the same for mine. And when my third trimester starts in 3 weeks, I will be getting them every two weeks thank you very much. And yes, my insurance company will pay for that too. I just had a nice chat with them to confirm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast