Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Downs screening at private OB

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Downs screening at private OB

If you are planning to ask your OB to carry out downs screening during your pregnancy, please read the following research paper and ask your OB whether they certified to do it.

*Many OBs in HK offer this service even though they are not certified.*

Don't just assume anyone with an ultrasound is qualified to do it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19966349/

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the info above. Very helpful.

I need to remember I am not in NY anymore and things are done differently here

realj0y is offline Registered User
    hi mingaling.

i had a question for you as a us citizen mommy. what are the benefits that you saw of birthing in hk as opposed to NY?

also, im assuming you plan to apply for us citizenship with the new baby right away? thank you

joy

Hi Joy

It's more complicated here than in NY. I would of preferred having my baby there.

First of all, my insurance would of covered most of the costs of checkups and delivery up front. Here, I have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by my insurance company later.

Second, I had to reserve my space with the hospital that I chose here with a $20,000 non refundable deposit which is unnecessary in the states.

Third, by my 16th week, my doctor was shocked that I hadn't booked my hospital yet. And when I started looking into hospitals, my first and second choice were already fully booked. Quite honestly, during my first trimester, the hospital was the last thing on my mind. I was just hoping my baby makes it past the first trimester.

And yes, I plan on obtaining citizenship and getting her a social security number for her right away (not sure what the procedure is yet though).

I hope I answered your questions.

realj0y is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for sharing mingaling!

Though none of those issues are issues if you go public.

True - I chose the private route. With the public route, you get 2 checkups I believe (one at 12 weeks and the second at 20). I compared notes with a woman that went public and private is more personal. During my 12 week scan, my doc gave me 20 black and white pictures of my baby (profile, hands, toes, head, leg, etc), a DVD of my entire 12 min ultrasound, my husband was able to sit next to me in a comfy seat and hold my hands, and doc was patient enough to sit with us afterwards and walked us through everything. With or without insurance, we would of opted for the more personal care. I get checkups every 4 weeks and my husband and I look forward to each and every one of them. We get black and white photos along with 4D pics of our little girl with every visit. Each visit is priceless to us.

Also, a big selling point is that with private, there is no wait. My appt is at 9:30am, I get seen at 9:35am at the latest.

Absolutely agree that private care is a lot more convenient and pleasant, I'm just pointing out that there is an alternative to the cost and hassle of finding a private hospital bed and you do get regular checkups (all of which my husband attended), just not in the early days.

I also think private obs are very quick to encourage (and charge for!) scans- and as they have not yet been proven to be safe, personally I would only choose to have them when medically necessary.
    Last edited by Aquarian; 11-21-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast