Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK in 2 weeks - 21 weeks pregnant, need hospital advice!

DonnaDE is offline Registered User

Moving to HK in 2 weeks - 21 weeks pregnant, need hospital advice!

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to HK in 2 weeks time on a work visa, and I'll be 21 weeks pregnant at the time with my first baby. I have been looking at hospital websites and I honestly don't know where to start!

The first question is public or private? I don't know where I'll be living yet, and I won't know until I arrive and actually look at apartments, so I've been leaning more towards private. I'm fully covered with BUPA up to a total maternity package of 10,000 UK pounds, which is pretty good, but I notice the prices on some private hospital websites are a substantial amount more expensive for non-HK residents. As someone residing in HK on a work visa and with an ID card, would I fall into the category of HK resident, or is that only for permanent residents?

On the other hand, I really dislike the 'business' side of private hospitals and would never ever use a private hospital in my home country, and from the reading I've done it seems the level of medical expertise is much higher in public hospitals. And I also read that you must go to the hospital nearest to where you live?

I really feel lost at the moment, so any advice to a complete HK newbie would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Donna

Aquarian is offline Registered User

At 21 weeks pregnant I dont think you'd be able to get a space in a private hospital. As I understand it you need to be booked in pretty much as soon as sperm hits egg.

DonnaDE is offline Registered User

Is this still the case now that mainland Chinese mothers are no longer allowed to give birth in HK? I thought that would have relieved some of the pressure on private hospitals?

Loveisgood is offline Registered User

Hi DonnaDE,
    Have you got a doctor in mind? If your set towards private, then you can always give it a try. It's probably worth making few calls and see what they say.
    Good luck!

Aquarian is offline Registered User

They're allowed to give birth here but they're not allowed to use the public system. So I *think* that's actually putting more pressure on the private hospitals, but I could be wrong - someone else might know better.

Maggie_gjl is offline Registered User

Much reduced mainland mothers, both public and private this year, so you should be able to get in private. I understand that the private slots are per obstetrician though, so if you choose a popular one and his slots are all full, for your due date, you will need to search again.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Aquarian - That's not quite right. Mainland moms were barred from public hospitals quite some time ago. The private hospital ban came later. The OP can probably still book now. It's much more relaxed and civilized now.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Hi Donna,
    Welcome to HK! Hope this answers all your questions.

1. Coverage of 10,000 pounds = 120,000 HKD, which should more or less cover it, with your paying just a small part. I had a complex delivery -- 5 nights in private hospital in private room -- and it came to 140,000 HKD. If you have that benefit, I'd probably take advantage.

2. If you're living here w/ a HKID and work visa, you are a HK resident. You are not a permenant resident, meaning you can;t vote in local elections, but you are a HK resident in terms of hospital care.

3. I'd let go of any PC preconceptions about public vs. private, as you are dealing w/ entirely different cultural and political realities here. I always used public schools and hospitals in my native Canada, and would encourage my children to do the same if we lived there. But we don't. And if private health care and education are right for you in HK, then go with it. Same with the hiring of a "helper." My friends in the West look down their noses at me for having a helper -- but the HK reality is that it's the most affordable, convenient solution for a working mom.

4. HK has excellent health care, public and private. We have some of the best infant / maternal health statistics in the world. The big difference is that the neo-natal intensive care units (NICU) are in the public hospitals, which tend to be big teaching hospitals. In the grand majority of cases, private hospitals can take care of your delivery. In the rare case -- god forbid -- of an emergency like a car crash, very early labor, etc, you will be automatically shipped to public.

5. If you go public, you have to go to the hospital in your cachement area. If you go private, you can go anywhere you like.

Hope that helps!

slin likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast