Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recommended IP Cams?

Dave227 is offline Registered User

Recommended IP Cams?

Hi All

As happy and excited parents to be, we are in the middle of transforming our lives for the next step. One of the things we need to consider is getting a cam to keep eye on the baby and helper. There are so many brands and types of cam, its hard to know which one to get. Our budget is anything upto HK$1500. Though expensive is not necessarily the best, which is why I would like to ask for recommendations on the best cam to use for set up, quality and usability. Any feedback whether good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

jollygood is offline Registered User
    No result then?

Babyping is popular these days at GBP150/USD200. Not sure if they have them in HK. Made by Y-Cam which have non-baby-specific cameras available also.

I'm looking for a baby monitor/IP cam. Will head to computer centres at some point to see what's available.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    If you have an old computer, just throw any old webcam to it and run Skype. I have it set up so that Skype is on two cameras and we can dial in from basically anywhere to see what is going on. Our folks can also watch the kids much easier than having to download specific software or apps for this camera or that.

hkfooeyboy is offline Registered User
    I understand the withings camera is meant to be good as you can pan in and out and it covers a wide area.

Can someone answer something more specific ie you have IP cam in lounge (for when you are away) but do people just have normal baby monitor for home? I don't need or want to be permanently stuck to iPhone!!!

jollygood is offline Registered User
    Sorry, again my reply isn't going to help you but I see groupon has an IP cam available currently.

I'm thinking of having a baby audio monitor for full-time use but an IP cam for temp use. That would mean using smart phone while at home as well.

The problem with using an IP can as your baby mon is that you're relying on wifi or 3G whereas a dedicated baby video monitor is closed down to just your home, with clearer signal.