- 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM #1
Helper home holiday and annual leave
Hi, my new helper will start with us in a week time. She will be finishing her current contract by that time and then start right away with us without taking her 2 weeks home holiday inbetween contracts. She wants to take the holiday in december around christmas time. My question is, in december when she is taking the 2 weeks holiday, will it be an unpaid leave or annual leave or do we have to pay her full during these period? Thanks.
- 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM #2Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2011
- hong kong
it's a little grey area... might be better to check with labour department. they have hotline for this and email as well.
- 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM #3
Any leave which they take in the first 12 months legally can be unpaid - however it is up to you how you do it. Personally, I've done it a bit more like "half pay" because a) I don't want to be stingy about it, and b) I also don't want to be toooo generous and then have other issues if she expects extra paid leave in the future.
The exception would be if you are not requiring her due to YOU not being around - you can't "force" her to take leave when it is convenient for you.
- 08-12-2013, 03:52 PM #4
Agree with Nicole, best to offer half paid and half unpaid.Founder of GeoBaby.Com
- By lost in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 0Last Post: 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM
- By mumsy in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 1Last Post: 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
- By bendou in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 4Last Post: 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
- By Wee Kean in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 10Last Post: 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
- By munchkin in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 2Last Post: 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM