Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

personal experience from QEH

munchies is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all the responses!

Jollygood - I originally started with a dr but was switched to a midwife once they didn't see any major problems. It's really worth asking for. The midwives really care about you and your baby. My first dr tried to rush me out the door after a few minutes bc it was close to her lunch break! The midwife let me voice my concerns and waited patiently until I was done. Good luck on making the switch. I guess see how it goes before making the leap to go abroad. I don't to scare you off!

TNJ - Aww, that's awful that they could turn such a beautiful experience into bad one. I'm glad you did write something. Maybe if enough ladies stick to their guns, the drs. won't have as many opportunities to boss us around. We should have the right to speak up and decide what happens to our body. In the end, we have to live with the consequence, not them.

I'm glad I didn't sign the paper ... yet :( I kept getting confused as to why I had to sign so early, even when I wasn't going into labour. She said it will speed up my process for the real day... all I could think of was "speed my process? for what? an episiotomy and forcep so that you can wrench my baby out from inside of me?" The drs and attendants were actually quite brisk and rude throughout the whole process, especially when it came to speaking to me. I didn't get much explanation as to what they were doing to me. The midwives, however, were so nice and made every effort to speak to me and check up on me. They are really amazing. I've been to Annerley also. Really excellent service. Just wish I could bring them in with me at the hospital!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll talk things over at my next midwife appt. Now just enjoy the time you have with your beautiful baby girl and know that everything was worth it for her. Congratulations on job well done!!!

Nicole - I like the idea that you refused it up to the last minute and bargained. You did manage to be persistent enough with the bargaining! Now I'm hoping to do that too. I've been doing my research for quite some time on the procedures that may occur. So although I can accept emergency situations, I'm not prepared to accept procedures drs decide to do bc they want to go have an early coffee break. Thanks for sharing your experience also, it does really help!
    jollygood likes this.

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    You'll be fine honestly just don't let them boss ya around!!!

Let us know how you get on, how many more weeks until d-day??

TNJ
    Nicolejoy - back to back labour... My goodness what a painful experience! I went in for a "drug free" labour ended up high as a kite telling the dr I wish me could have the babies!!!! :,)

charade is offline Registered User
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I had a similar experience at United Christian Hospital - great midwives largely, doctors with terrible attitude. In fact, although I saw the doctor only for a few minutes each time, I felt it was worth paying for private the second time around. Unfortunately, I ended up in public the second time too, but fortunately, I had a c-sec and the doctor was very nice.

My experience has been that it's the younger doctors who are rude, the older experienced one who did my c-sec was really nice.

I'm shocked about rushing women into signing consent forms. In my case, I was always given plenty of time to read the consent form, and the doc still went through it with me after that, asking if I had questions etc. Only for the episistiomy form, which I was asked to sign while checking into the maternity ward, I sensed the midwife pushing me for a 'yes' but I had also read enough on these forums to know that I could say no if I wanted.

TNJ
    Men* could have babies! Not me! Haha!

Charade I completely agree with you I mean birth is a thing we do once or a few times in life and because the drs do it everyday I guess it's just another day at the office for them! Sad but true!

ngnhk is offline Registered User
    Well, from what I've noticed - some local doctors (certainly not all, but a lot) seem to think they are gods, because that's how "authority figures" are treated in Asia. (And as has been said before, many of them did not enter the medical profession of their own accord - they were forced by parents, family pressures, etc. So bedside manner might not be their strong point - they just want to cross a name off a sheet and make sure the job is done (i.e. baby delivered.)) They are not really used to patient-directed care.
    TNJ likes this.

TNJ
    Hey guys just wanted to update this thread,

I've had my appointment at QEH this morning and I am so dissappointed with the drs here at QE. In fact I am that angry that I am going to write an official complaint with my DH this evening.

The delivery itself was horrid, but the patient care was bloody dreadful! The doctors have completely dismissed how I feel emotionally and like said I'm the one who has to live with the way I have been left! I feel so upset because I had such high hopes of a great delivery but instead i felt bullied into procedures i really didnt want! now I am on bed-rest, not able to fully enjoy my beautiful little girl and in pain wondering when will this nightmare end...

Considering how this hospital is at "Australian Standards" I'm shocked at how rubbish things are run. The doctors are awful, you feel like you have 5 seconds with them and then your interrupting their day.

I will never return to this hospital for a delivery, I am traumatized after the birth and most of all so angry!

ngnhk is offline Registered User
    I am so sorry you've had to go through this. What a mess. Some of the doctors here are really awful - even some in private practice. (The first GP I ever went to in HK did not smile at me for the entire consult and was generally short and uncaring. I went to her two or three times after that and got the same treatment - never again.) How has your medical care been? Are they looking after the wound properly and taking appropriate measures against infection?

You should consider seeing a good private gyno/OB when you are discharged - they might be able to add something useful (and be nice about it.) I've read about women who have had to go private postpartum after the public system botched things in some way - seemed pretty happy with the private doc.

I'm also still really annoyed they pushed you into assisted delivery after an hour. According to Wikipedia: "A prolonged second stage of labour is another type of dystocia whereby the fetus has not been delivered within three hours in a nulliparous woman, or two hours in multiparous woman." So for them to try and rush you after just ONE hour is completely ridiculous and clearly for the sake of their own convenience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast